From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Stated Clerk Seeks to Bring "Vision and Perspective"

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Mar 1997 10:37:41

12-February-1997
97077

     New Stated Clerk Seeks to Bring "Vision and Perspective"

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- Offering a vision of how Presbyterians can gain a broader
perspective on the issues that confront the denomination is the key task
the new General Assembly stated clerk sees for himself.

     That kind of synthesis -- tying the past, present and future together
in ways that enhance understanding -- is laid out in Kirkpatrick's "Vision
for the Office of the General Assembly," a document he prepared shortly
after his election last summer that was endorsed by the Committee on the
Office of the General Assembly (COGA) last fall.

     Kirkpatrick believes providing vision and perspective to Presbyterians
is central to the ongoing work of the Office of the General Assembly, which
offers a wide range of services to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  Those
services include preserving the church's history,  interpreting its
constitutional questions,  organizing -- and now reshaping -- it's annual
General Assemblies,  supporting its ecumenical relationships and expressing
its public stands for human rights, religious freedom and justice.

      Kirkpatrick is concerned that there is so much focus on Amendment B
(the so-called "fidelity and chastity" amendment) and not enough attention
to two other amendments that he believes have far more potential impact on
the life of the church and its ministry.

     "What worries me is that there is so much focus on Amendment B," said
Kirkpatrick, shortly after his first 100 days in office, "that folks may be
missing the other two amendments [C and I] -- amendments that are
pioneering fundamental new directions for the life of the church.  We need
to give spiritual and emotional energy to these."

     Amendment C, if passed, would commit the PC(USA) to implementation of
the Church of Christ Uniting (COCU).  Under the COCU "covenanting" plan,
the eight member churches would officially recognize each other's pastors
and would open their celebrations of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper to
each other's members.  In the most controversial aspect of the agreement,
the Presbyterian Church would be represented by a commission of ministers
and elders rather than by a single designated "bishop" in representative
COCU events.

     Amendment I (actually a package of proposals), if passed, would
broaden the responsibilities and rights of commissioned lay pastors to
include duties only previously given to ministers of the Word and
sacrament, such as performing weddings and baptisms, moderating session
meetings and having a vote at presbytery meetings.

     "What is not at stake if Amendment B fails is the church favoring the
ordination of gay and lesbian persons.  We still have authoritative
interpretation," said Kirkpatrick, referring to a 1978 General Assembly
policy statement that  prohibits the ordination of gay and lesbian
Presbyterians.  "And if it passes, we have not changed our basic policy.
 ..."

     But, he added, "People are making this a life-and-death struggle by
interpreting more into the amendment than what it means, than it actually
means in the life of the church."

     Kirkpatrick concedes that codifying the prohibition of ordination of
gays and lesbians in the denomination's "Book of Order" does make it harder
to change in the future.  But he points out that the PC(USA)'s stance on
the ordination of homosexuals has not changed since 1978 -- and that the
vote on this amendment will not change it either.  "The church has not
supported the ordination of gays and lesbians," he said, referring to
consistent reaffirmations of the "authoritative interpretation" by
subsequent General Assemblies, most recently in 1993.  "But the
Presbyterian Church also believes that the Church of Jesus Christ needs all
people -- heterosexual and homosexual -- within its membership."

     The crucial task for the church,  he said, is to take care of those
who will be hurt and angry when the final vote on Amendment B is
determined.  "There will be people who will be deeply hurt ... and it's
going to take an extra measure of grace [to care for them], whichever way
[the vote] goes," he said.

     That "extra measure of grace" is something Kirkpatrick has drafted
into the OGA's vision statement.  He wrote about -- and talks frequently
about -- building community and restoring trust.  And the new clerk insists
those ideals are part of what he calls his "passion," or his "covenant with
the church," what he has expressed in the OGA paper in a section called
"Caring for the Whole Church."

     "We need to be affirming the role of the Presbyterian Church at every
level," Kirkpatrick said, "to get people excited ... about the fundamental
vision behind our calling."

     And that's where Kirkpatrick sees the multiple functions of the OGA as
critically important, whether the need is constitutional interpretation or
reminding Presbyterians that the Department of History in Philadelphia may
be useful in drawing lessons from the church's past.  For instance, he
doesn't hesitate to point out that a feud about standards for the training
of lay pastors -- what's currently being debated  in Amendment I -- was
central to the denominational split in the 1800s that produced the
Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

     Another element of  the clerk's "covenant" is "building an organic,
reconnected church" with a  "strengthening of the bonds between the various
governing bodies," a building of "new and positive relationships between
Presbyterian organizations not accountable to a governing body and the
wider church," an encouragement of "trust and cooperation among General
Assembly entities" and an effort to educate the church about the "biblical
vision of the body of Christ."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073