From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Is Best Equipped to Rebuild Communities

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Mar 1997 10:37:44

11-February-1997
97078

         Church Is Best Equipped to Rebuild Communities,
        Sociologist Bellah Tells Redevelopment Conference

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

SAN ANTONIO, Texas--In an age when communities of all kinds are crumbling
and individualism is the prevailing ideology, only the church "can offer a
community that was here before any of us were born, that will be here after
all of us die and that binds us to one another because it binds us to
Christ," famed author and sociologist Robert Bellah told some 280
Presbyterians gathered here Jan. 23-26.

     The gathering, "Rebirthing Congregational Ministry in a Time of
Transitions," was sponsored by the Church Redevelopment Initiative Team of
the General Assembly Council and included pastors, laypersons and governing
body staff persons involved in redevelopment ministries.

     In the first of his two keynote addresses to the gathering, Bellah --
an Episcopal layperson, professor of sociology at the University of
California at Berkeley and co-author of the groundbreaking "Habits of the
Heart" -- painted a gloomy picture of a world characterized by "capitalism
without restraint -- without a moral framework -- that is both the most
creative and most destructive force in the world."

     The disintegration of institutions and societies in the face of the
rise of technology and the globalization of the economic order has created
an America in which "all the primary relationships in our society, those
between employers and employees, between lawyers and clients, between
doctors and patients, between universities and students are being stripped
of any moral understanding other than that of market exchange," he said.

     "I have even heard one bishop in my Episcopal Church who calls himself
the CEO of the diocese, with the implication that the clergy are employees
and the laity are the customers," Bellah mourned.  "A more complete denial
of the body of Christ would be hard to imagine, and we know that consumer
Christianity is not confined to the Episcopal Church," he added.

     With income inequality at its highest point in history, Bellah said,
current American socioeconomic life can be characterized as consisting of
three classes: an "overclass" living in the safety of elite suburbs, an
"underclass quarantined in surroundings that are unspeakably bleak and
often violent," and a new "anxious class" trapped in "the frenzy of effort
it takes to preserve their standing."

     The responses of all three classes -- for different reasons -- are a
tendency toward individualism at the expense of community.  The "overclass"
retreats; the "underclass" is excluded and alienated; the "anxious class"
withdraws out of what it perceives as necessary self-preservation.

     As an example of  "American private affluence and public squalor,"
Bellah recalled a story told by political pundit James Fallows about
walking down a street in Manhattan and finding every public telephone out
of order while people whizzed by in their BMWs and their Mercedeses while
talking on their cellular phones.

     Modern technology and globalization of the economy have rendered
employment obsolete, Bellah asserted.  "The economy, it seems, doesn't need
many jobs -- at least, not well-paying jobs, though that is where the
wealth is," he said.  "The society badly needs jobs, but at every level
this need is not being met because it would not be profitable to supply
[jobs]."

     Our churches, therefore, are filled with people who have "doubt about
the soundness of our society and anxiety about its future."

     And yet the core belief of Americans -- more so than in any other
society in the world, Bellah said -- is "that economic success or
misfortune is the individual's responsibility, and his or hers alone."

     But the biblical tradition, which Bellah called "a second language"
familiar to most Americans, "teaches concern for the intrinsic value of
individuals because of their relationship to the transcendent" and that
"the individual is realized only in and through community."  The "American
experiment," Bellah said, "is a project of common moral purpose, one which
places responsibility on citizens for the welfare of their fellows and for
the common good."

     This sense of community, which Bellah called "a cultural theme that
calls us to wider and wider circles of loyalty, ultimately embracing the
universal community of all beings," is what Jesus was talking about in the
parable of the good Samaritan, he said.  "Any community short of the
universal community is not the beloved community."

     And yet, Bellah continued, current socioeconomic forces threaten
community precisely when it is needed the most.  "We are facing trends,
particularly downsizing and downgrading the workforce, that threaten our
basic sense of solidarity with others, solidarity with those near to us,
but also solidarity with those who live far from us, those who are
economically in situations very different from our own, those of other
nations," he said.  "Yet this solidarity, this sense of connection, shared
fate, mutual responsibility, community is more critical now than ever."

     American religious groups "have the strongest hold on their members
and almost alone have the capacity to reach individuals in every class,"
Bellah said.  And the church's role in restoring true community is an act
of conversion, he added.  "Today conversion certainly entails a turning
away from a hard individualism toward a deeper understanding and practice
of community."

     Moreover, he concluded, "If the churches do not take up the issue of
our deepening social divisions -- in the world, not only in America -- who
will?"

     What does the church have to offer?  "Care of souls," Bellah answered.
"We can offer an understanding of ourselves not as isolated atoms in danger
of dropping into a personal abyss, but as souls created by God and destined
for community with God, with other human beings and with everything that
is."

     Care of souls, he continued, only occurs "when we proclaim an
orthodox, full-blooded Christianity and when we show forth in our lives
that we profess by our faith."  Such profession, Bellah said, "cannot be
reduced to a set of cognitive propositions or simple moral imperatives."
The popular slogan "Jesus Is the Answer" is true, he said, "but even more
deeply Jesus is the question, the one who calls into question every aspect
of our personal and interpersonal lives and who shows the inadequacy of
every answer that claims divine sanction for human claims."

     Christian faith, Bellah insisted, "comes alive when it is lived in
community -- above all, when it is lived in worship, in the word and
sacrament, which heal us and transform us and which reaffirm our membership
in one body."  People don't just come to church for answers, he said, they
come to church for warmth and acceptance.

     And the fragility of people's relationships with their churches
shouldn't be surprising, he continued.  "The problem areas of religion are
endemic to the culture as a whole," Bellah said.  In families, marriages,
workplaces -- "in every case the very viability of a coherent form of life
is endangered by uncertainty and insecurity, which pressure individuals to
put a priority on individual self-interest at the expense of long-term
loyalties."

     And so, Bellah said, "church renewal, to make any sense, must be
undertaken with an awareness of the enormous need for a renewal of
solidarity at every level, and not just in our own society, but in the
world."

     But the church must meet people where they are, he insisted, and
people are coming to church "with injured and needy selves.  They must be
shown that they are souls in need of salvation and what they ought to find
in church is God."  Bellah, quoting theologian Marcus Borg in his new book
"The God We Never Knew," said, "Congregations that are full of God are full
of people."

     The model of God that "speaks to us most directly today," he said, "is
the model of God as spirit, the model of God in the fourth gospel."  In
John's gospel, Bellah explained, "the central understanding of the
divine-human relation is relationship itself, belonging, membership: We are
all members of one body."

     In John's gospel, Bellah continued, "eternal life is not something in
the future, but something here and now in Jesus Christ."  That immanence of
God with us means that "we participate in salvation through Jesus Christ.
In the model of God as spirit, the Christian life is centrally about
participating in God's salvation" -- of the individual and of all creation.

     "In short," Bellah concluded, "a joyous, God-filled congregation is
not just a hospital for the injured, but a place which sends us out to do
the work God has given us to do" -- work of salvation, transformation,
redemption and, ultimately, community rebuilding.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073