From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Historically Black Presbyterian Colleges

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Mar 1997 10:37:45

5-March-1997
97114

                  Historically Black Presbyterian
                  Colleges Struggle For Survival

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Historically black colleges affiliated with the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) are undergoing a best-of-times, worst-of-times
existence -- witnessed Feb. 24-25 by National Ministries Division (NMD)
officials during fact-finding tours to Knoxville College in Tennessee and
Barber-Scotia College and Johnson C. Smith University in North Carolina.

     Heading the tour was NMD director the Rev. Curtis A. Kearns Jr. He was
accompanied by the Rev. Mary Newbern-Williams, the NMD's associate for
racial ethnic schools and colleges and this Presbyterian News Service
reporter.

     There are eight racial-ethnic schools and colleges that are either
owned by and/or receive funding from the PC(USA). They are Barber-Scotia
College, Concord, N.C.;  Cook College and Theological School, Tempe, Ariz.;
Knoxville College, Knoxville, Tenn.; Mary Holmes College, West Point,
Miss.; Menaul School, Albuquerque, N.M.; Presbyterian Pan American School,
Kingsville, Texas; Sheldon Jackson College, Sitka, Alaska; and Stillman
College, Tuscaloosa, Ala. Although founded in 1867 by the Presbyterian
Church, Johnson C. Smith University does not receive financial assistance
from the denomination.

     Collectively, these schools enroll more than 5,000 students on
campuses valued in excess of $95 million.  Their combined budgets total
more than $53 million, of which approximately 4 percent comes from
donations. According to Kearns, the schools  receive between $250,000 and
$300,000 annually from the Christmas Joy Offering and restricted funds
(wills and bequests).

                 The crisis at Knoxville College

     The situation is grave indeed at Knoxville College, founded in 1875 by
what was then the United Presbyterian Church of North America. Dr. Roland
A. Harris Jr., acting president, said the Southern Association of Colleges
and Schools (SACS) has decided to withdraw  the school's accreditation
after years of financial instability.

     The college has appealed the decision and awaits a response that is
expected March 24, when college leaders meet with the SACS board for a
hearing. The school successfully appealed a similar SACS recommendation in
1985.  A loss of accreditation has severe repercussions, including
crippling a college's ability to seek federal funds for financial aid.
According to Harris, more than 90 percent of the school's 336 students
receive some form of financial assistance.

     "We think some things were stacked against us in terms of the SACS
decision," Harris told the Presbyterian News Service. "For instance, a peer
group last December recommended that the college be placed on probation,
not lose its accreditation. I think there was tremendous improvement in the
financial structure last year that I thought SACS would take into
consideration."

     Nonetheless, crucial issues facing the college, some of which were
cited by SACS in their decision, include

     *    a debt of $3 million explained as "Knoxville in debt to itself."
          There are not a lot of creditors the college owes, but it has
          difficulty funding its operations.
     *    planning and evaluation deficiencies -- cited by SACS as being
          related to scholastic achievement, the college library, student
          publications and several administrative processes.
     *    financial aid problems. The financial aid office has undergone
          extreme difficulty, with the previous director being terminated
          after SACS cited the college for misappropriation of student loan
          funds with USA Funds (an educational loan guarantor). The college
          is also owed several hundreds thousand dollars in outstanding
          student loans.

     Another disturbing sight  is the 51-acre Morristown campus, purchased
several years ago by Knoxville College but unused since it closed in 1995.
Although plans are under way to sell the campus, which is assessed at $4.8
million, the property, with 22 vacant buildings, serves as a painful
reminder of the lost potential that has become synonymous with the growing
inability of African Americans to translate educational achievement into
economic clout.

     "It really breaks my heart to see this place like this, it's such a
shame when you consider all the sacrifices and contributions our ancestors
made," Newburn-Williams said.

     "If Knoxville College is so consumed with basic survival, how can it
prepare students for higher education," Kearns said. "In a high-tech world,
if you don't have the technology you are going to be shut out, and I fear
that our historically black colleges that are unable to stay in step
technologically will wither on the vine."

     Though students and faculty were disheartened by the news (nearly 75
students dropped out after the SACS decision was announced), Knoxville
College continues to hold classes and recruit students pending the outcome
of the appeal. Moreover, the college is asking community supporters for
additional help with its College Fund and annual fund-raisers.

     Dr. J. Harvey Gillespie, vice president for institutional advancement
at Knoxville College, said that as of  June 1996 the school had a budget
surplus of roughly $200,000.  He said it was achieved by trimming expenses,
including closing the Morristown campus, reducing faculty/staff salaries
and taking other extreme cost-cutting measures.

     In addition to obtaining additional funding, Gillespie said, what
Knoxville College most needs now is "a sound policy of vision and
leadership."

     "We have not yet adopted a program that says,  This is how Knoxville
College will look in the year 2000 and [this is] how we are going to be
there,'" Gillespie said.  "We have been in a crisis mode before and have
responded. And we are responding again.

     "Why? Primarily because the [Knoxville College] board has failed to
work out why a plan of action is needed," Gillespie said. "There is no
follow-up and no one who is looking to see that things are being carried
out. The president has never been given the full support of the board and
that makes it hard to articulate the school's presence in the world."

     Commenting on institutional advancement, Gillespie said his office is
trying to regain the confidence of the college's alumni and friends through
a mailed appeal.  He said there are "some" college alumni chapters across
the country, but most of them need to be reactivated. There are more than
6,000 contacts on the list.

     Gillespie said a guide for writing proposals for government funding is
being developed, a telethon fund-raising campaign is being planned and a
think tank of people in the Knoxville community to discuss what can be done
to promote the college and recruit more students is being organized.

     "We're building." Gillespie said.

               Better news at Barber-Scotia College

     After a two-and-a-half-year struggle, Barber-Scotia College, a
historically black Presbyterian college in Concord, N.C., has regained good
standing with SACS. The 129-year-old school had been placed on probation
for a year, following 18 months of warning, due to  ballooning debt that at
one point approached $3 million.

     The sanctions could have cost the school its accreditation, which
would have meant losing the federal grants and scholarships that help it
stay open. In 1994, both the National Association for the Advancement of
Colored People (NAACP) and the owner of  the Charlotte Hornets professional
basketball team pitched in to help raise money for the beleaguered college.

     Presbyterian Church officials also put college administrators in touch
with potential donors. Now Barber-Scotia's president, Dr. Sammie Potts,
says the debt is down to $1.8 million, and he hopes to eliminate it
entirely within the next three years.

     To do that, the college launched its first-ever capital campaign Feb.
24.

     Called "A New Era of Distinction," the $4.7 million campaign will run
through 2002.  The college will use the money for capital improvement,
scholarships, technology acquisitions and academic enhancement.

     One of the pace-setting organizations in the greater Charlotte area,
Philip Morris, U.S.A., has already pledged a gift of $110,000. Moreover,
the college's alumni have promised to give $250,000 to the fund, of which
more than $68,000 is "already in hand," according to Potts.

     "The administration of Barber-Scotia College will show that it is up
to the task of advancing Barber-Scotia College to one of the nation's most
proud and dedicated ... black colleges and universities," Potts said. "This
administration of Barber-Scotia College will rededicate itself to ensuring
that Barber-Scotia College remains an active and fully accredited member of
the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools."

     Potts also said the college will endeavor to remain financially sound,
fiscally prudent, managerially wise, organizationally effective and
academically excellent. Potts further promised Barber-Scotia College will
ensure every student has the opportunity to receive a quality education.

     Barber-Scotia College has a current enrollment of 450 students and a
total of 82 faculty, staff and administrative employees.

        Dynamism and pride at Johnson C. Smith University

     Not all the denomination's black colleges and universities are in
crisis or in the process of pulling out of a financial tailspin. Founded in
1867 by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Johnson C.  Smith University in
Charlotte, N.C., remains one of the nation's oldest and strongest
historically black colleges and stands as a shimmering manifestation of
black pride and achievement.

     Under the guidance of its president, Dr. Dorothy Cowser Yancy, the
university continues to prepare the leaders of the next century while
honoring the traditions and culture upon which the nation's historically
black colleges were conceived and nurtured.

     According to information provided by Yancy, Johnson C. Smith
University has a total of 1,426 students, its highest enrollment since
1978.  The institution has an operating budget of $22 million and in 1996
distributed $6.9 million in financial aid (including state, federal, and
college loans and grants).

     But how has Johnson C. Smith been able to survive and thrive when
neighboring institutions are seemingly on the verge of collapse? One of
the key ingredients to the university's success, Yancy said, is keeping
alumni informed and utilizing their talents and resources.

     "Most of our schools do not have a good alumni database," Yancy said.
"Most of the alumni offices at most colleges and universities were the last
to go through the information age, but we know you can't raise money
sitting in an office.

     "Most folks think they have to give a lot, but the percentage of
givers is more important than the number of givers," Yancy said. "A lot of
folks are deterred from giving because they think they are going to see
their name and the amount they donated in print."

     Getting its students ready for the future through technological
investments also remains a university strength. For example, the
university's new technology center, for which ground was broken in the
spring of 1996, will house laboratories, research offices, a
teleconferencing hall, a technical library, an auditorium and classrooms.
According to university officials, the center is designed and will be
equipped to offer students cutting-edge training on rapidly advancing
technologies, encourage and increase student and faculty research projects
and serve the Charlotte metropolitan business community in support of
research and training.

     Yancy said the university has been on the Internet since 1994 and
recently spent an estimated $2 million installing fiberoptic cable and
technology on campus.

     "In order to be competitive and recruit, you have to be able to
provide [students] those things which they had in middle and high school
and are not about to do without in college," Yancy said. "We have to be
able to provide a support system so that they can come out of here with a
meaningful college education."

                  Tough questions for the future

     In the years to come, Presbyterian Church officials will undoubtedly
have some tough issues to face regarding the denomination's racial-ethnic
schools and colleges. For example, Potts directly credited the PC(USA) with
keeping Barber-Scotia financially afloat over the years.

     "Our survival has been primarily due to the Presbyterian Church and
the people in the pews," Potts said. "People give to people and,
admittedly, we have not done the best job of leadership in the past."

     But as the denomination's financial resources decline, church leaders
may no longer be able to maintain the current amount of funding for its
schools and universities.  "I'm not sure how well we're going to be able to
maintain the schools in the future," Harris said frankly. "I think that the
historically black schools are going to lose out eventually to larger
public universities and colleges.  As African Americans we don't have much
historically. And if we lose our colleges and loose the [spiritual strength
and identity provided by the] church, we may not have anything left."

     College and church leaders face an additional threat from the fact
that there are now more African American men nationwide in prison than in
college. According to the PC(USA) Office of Higher Education, the average
cost of incarceration for one year exceeds $20,000 per prisoner. That same
$20,000, when coupled with additional financial aid programs, would provide
four years of education for two students at one of the church's
racial-ethnic institutions.

     Bob Suddreth, senior vice president of Wachovia Bank of North
Carolina, N.A., and a member of the Johnson C. Smith University Board of
Visitors, said historically black colleges and universities comprise only 3
percent of America's higher education institutions. However, they enroll 16
percent of the nation's black college students and graduate 30 percent of
all black students who earn a bachelor's degree.
     Additionally, Suddreth said, historically black colleges and
universities have graduated 75 percent of blacks who hold Ph.D.'s, 85
percent of black medical doctors, 46 percent of black business executives,
50 percent of black engineers, 75 percent of all black military officers
and 80 percent of black federal judges.
     "I know firsthand what these schools can do," Suddreth said. "I was
one of the poor underachievers they took under their wings at North
Carolina Central University with a struggling score on the  Scholastic
Aptitude Test of  800. Later, when I went on to Babcock Graduate School at
Wake Forest University for my M.B.A., I was the only African American in my
class. But I'm proud to say that I finished at the top of my class."
     Kearns urged the college presidents to contact officials in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Foundation, an institution through which
Presbyterians can provide financial support for the church and its missions
through gifts, bequests and deferred giving.
     "Given their current status, I think all of our Presbyterian black
colleges should be at the top of the list of donations of dollars from
people," Kearns said. "I think the denomination should take whatever
measures it can to affirm and continue  to support our racial ethnic
schools and colleges."
     Newbern-Williams said Presbyterians who want to help Knoxville
College, Barber-Scotia College or any of the denomination's other
racial-ethnic schools and colleges through an Extra Commitment Offering can
contact her office at (502)569-5646 for more information.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073