From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Action on Jerusalem settlement

From smm@wcc-coe.org
Date 13 Mar 1997 07:17:46

World Council of Churches
Press Release
For Immediate Use

WCC ACTION ON THE JABAL ABU GHMEIN SETTLEMENT

Rev. Dr Konrad Raiser, General Secretary of the World Council of
Churches has today sent the following letter to the Heads of
Churches and Christian Communities in Jerusalem:

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

*May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in all ways.
The Lord be with you all* (2 Th 3:16).

I recall with joy and appreciation the visit I paid to you in May 1995. Since
then, the World Council of Churches has followed closely developments
in Jerusalem, and in the broader Middle East process.

It is with grave concern that the WCC has been following the recent
developments in Jerusalem and the West Bank. We are especially
concerned about the decision by the Israeli government to construct a
new settlement, Har Homa, between East Jerusalem and Bethlehem on
Mount Abu Ghmein. We recognize the political, religious, economic and
ecological consequences of this decision, as well as the deeply felt
frustration and despair among your faithful and all peace-loving people. It
constitutes one of the most serious violations of the Oslo Accords to
date.

Following my visit to Jerusalem in May 1995, the WCC Central Committee
appealed to the State of Israel *to desist from its continuing, systematic
policies of confiscation of buildings and land* and *the establishment of
new Jewish settlements in and around East Jerusalem,* *and from all
attempts to alter the demographic status quo of the Holy City prior to the
conclusion of agreement with regard to its future status.*

In September 1993, the WCC Executive Committee warmly welcomed the
signing of the Oslo Accord, and at the same time cautioned that the
*breakthrough* did not yet ensure peace or guarantee justice. It said that
full, speedy implementation of these accords is indispensable. We
believe that any unilateral decision which alters the status of Jerusalem
violates the spirit of this recent agreement and undermines the credibility
of the Middle East peace process. We strongly condemn any obstacles
to the current peace negotiations and acts that ignore the final status of
negotiations of the *City of Peace*: Jerusalem.

The nature of Jerusalem, a holy city for three monotheistic faiths, has to
be determined by its people, both Israeli and Palestinian. We reiterate the
words of the MECC that *trust, good faith and confidence are needed to
repair old and build new firm foundations for a relationship between
Israelis and Palestinians.*

Please be reassured of our prayers and solidarity with the Christian
community in Jerusalem and all those who are still hungry for the fruits of
peace. May the crossing of the Lenten desert be a time of forgiveness,
renewal, healing, and increased love of neighbour. May the journey
towards Christ's glorious resurrection be a source of patience and hope,
for we know that life and joy will prevail, because through his death and
resurrection Christ has conquered all powers of sin and death.

In anticipation of  this ever renewed experience of resurrection, we pray
that the God of justice and peace, the God of resurrection and life, the
God of joy and hope be with you all. *May the God of hope fill you with all
joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you
may abound in hope* (Rm 15:13).*

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 330, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Press and Information Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51