From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Seminary Honors Pastor Tony Machado

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 14 Mar 1997 00:10:08

ELCA NEWS SERVICE - NEWSBRIEF

March 12, 1997

SEMINARY HONORS MACHADO

The Rev. J. Antonio Machado will be honored April 3 for "his
efforts to transcend racial and cultural barriers in his
ministry."  He will receive the 1997 Luther Seminary Race, Church
and Change Award during a chapel service at Luther Seminary, St.
Paul, Minn.  Machado is pastor of Todos Los Santos Lutheran
Church, a congregation he helped start in 1990 to serve the
Latino communities of Minneapolis.  "People come to our church
from many places -- Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico, Puerto Rico.  Most
haven't been in Minnesota for very long," said Machado.  "We seek
ways to find a common ground.  We want to include all, the way
Jesus includes everybody, to touch young and old."  The Rev.
Rodney C. Maeker, director of cross-cultural education at Luther
Seminary, said, "Pastor Tony Machado's tireless ministry in the
community, work of reconciliation and healing among diverse
peoples of the Twin Cities, and his commitment to congregational
ministry make him an excellent role model for seminary students,
pastors and leaders of the  church."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html