From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

San Antonio Pastor Enters Race for Moderator

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 16 Mar 1997 16:30:53

12-March-1997
97127

           San Antonio Pastor Enters Race for Moderator

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Mission Presbytery has endorsed the candidacy of the Rev.
Louis H. Zbinden Jr., pastor of First Presbyterian Church in San Antonio,
Texas, for moderator of the upcoming 209th General Assembly (1997) in
Syracuse, N.Y.

     Zbinden becomes the third candidate for the Assembly's top leadership
post, joining elders Patricia Brown of Cincinnati Presbytery and D. Eugene
Sibery of Peace River Presbytery in Florida.

     "This [running for moderator] is the last thing I ever thought I'd
do," Zbinden told the Presbyterian News Service March 11, the day his
candidacy was announced.  He said numerous friends, seeing that he'd been
elected a commissioner by Mission Presbytery, encouraged him to run.

     "Whatever happens with Amendment B, there needs to be a word of
healing and reconciliation spoken to the church," Zbinden said, "and my
friends have told me that they believe God will give me that word."  One
thing he will surely communicate, he said, "is that supporters of the
amendment are not bigots and opponents are not heretics.  I would like to
be in a position to encourage the building up of the church and the
building up of each other."

     One gift Zbinden said he brings to the moderatorial race is "a zeal
for outreach."  During his tenure at First Church, he said, he has
consistently preached the need for the church to meet human need. "We know
and profess that God loves all people," Zbinden noted.  "The question is,
Can God love them through the Presbyterian Church?'"

     A graduate of Rhodes College (formerly Southwestern College) in
Memphis, Tenn., and Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, Zbinden has
served San Antonio's First Church since 1971.  Prior to that he served
pastorates in Lenoir, N.C., and Ft. Defiance, Va.

     In a long career of service to the church, Zbinden has moderated two
presbyteries -- Mission Presbytery and the former Presbytery del Salvador
-- and served on the boards of several Presbyterian educational
institutions, including Presbyterian Pan American School, Austin College,
Trinity University and Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.  He has
also served on the boards of the Texas Presbyterian Foundation and Mo-Ranch
Conference Center.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073