From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Litke called to head Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 20 Mar 1997 12:14:51

Canada
Date: March 19, 1997
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

97b-16

     INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- Stan Litke of Calgary has been called as the
new executive director of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in
Canada.

     He began the new appointment Feb. 3, succeeding the Rev. Robert Steffer
who served as executive minister for 10 years. The first layperson to serve as
regional executive, Litke will lead Canadian Disciples through December 1998.

      Litke is a past moderator of the Canada region and has served on the
regional board of directors. The new regional executive is a member of the
executive committee of the World Convention of Churches of Christ. He comes to
the new position from a 30-year career in television production and
management.

     Among Litke's chief tasks are to "reorganize the national operation of
the
church and prepare a plan for approval at the next All-Canada Convention."
This
will involve developing a communication system to bridge the enormous
distances
between churches, and establishing a network to minister to pastors in the
far-flung congregations.

     To facilitate communication the region will "rely on the Internet as the
backbone of the Christian Church in Canada," Litke said. Likewise, a network
of
area ministers will address the pastoral needs of clusters of congregations.

     A regional task force has spent two years envisioning how this could
work, he said. "We have a basic outline. We'll see if we can make this work."

     The Canada region comprises 37 congregations with approximately 2,000
participating members. The regional office is based in Guelph, Ont.

                      - 30 -

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206,
tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and
Information Assistant; (CWILLIS@oc.disciples.org) Cliff Willis, Director of
News and Information; (CMILLER@oc.disciples.org) Executive Director