From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Suad Younan: Palestinian Lutheran

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 20 Mar 1997 16:21:06

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 21, 1997

SUAD YOUNAN: PALESTINIAN LUTHERAN
97-11-029-AH

     CHICAGO (ELCA)  --  Suad Younan, a leader in the Evangelical
Lutheran Church of Jordan (Palestine), asked the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America's Division for Global Mission board to
support Palestinian Christians.  Younan is the director of the
Helen Keller School for the Blind in Jerusalem.  The board,
meeting here March 14-16, voted to send a letter of "solidarity
and support" to the Palestinian church.
     Palestinian Christians are "involved in the history and
society of our people," Younan said.  "We share with all
Palestinian people the conditions of life, and we strive to
create a Palestinian entity and state with East Jerusalem as its
capital."
     Younan asked the ELCA to "sensitize your fellow Americans to
speak up when unjust decisions are made" by your government.
"Let us speak out as Christians in the name of justice and fair
play," she said.
     Christians should "seek peace and the liberation that comes
with it.  To do otherwise is to encourage a retreat to violence
by extremists and fundamentalists from both sides and from the
three monotheistic religions," Younan said.
     Palestinian Lutherans have "a rich heritage of bridge
building and reconciliation though education, inter-faith
dialogue, medical relief services and ecumenical encounters,"
Younan said.  "Yet as part of the Christian body we must always
make sure that the cries and voices of the Christian Church are
prophetic, and that they are heard," she said.
     Younan pointed to specific ways the ELCA can support
Palestinian Christians.  Pilgrimage, travel to Bethlehem and
other holy sites in the West Bank, is an important factor in the
economy of the area, assuring jobs and slowing Christian
emigration.  Younan urged Lutherans to oppose Israel's efforts to
build its own tourism center and hotel complex adjacent to
Bethlehem.
     Lutherans in the United States should acknowledge the
"living stones," Palestinian Christians "who have faithfully
remained in their country and are feebly struggling to lead a
normal, dignified life," Younan said.
     In partnership with the Palestinian church, Younan said, the
ELCA should "redefine the concept of mission work."  The churches
should "set clear and realistic frames of reference in a genuine
sense of fellowship and explore together their common vision in
mission in our part of the world with its complexities and
divisions."
     Younan said the Palestinian Christian churches face change
and challenges, including "socio-cultural advocacy and siding
with the poor, the destitute, displaced, disabled, deported and
imprisoned."  The church must have "the courage to voice our
concerns publicly and seek help and solidarity from our
partners."  We seek your help, your wisdom and your voice, she
said.
     Younan is a leader in her Lutheran congregation at Ramallah
and in Palestinian ecumenical circles.  She is active in inter-
faith dialogue, peacemaking and social justice, especially for
the disabled.  She has accepted regional and international
assignments from the Lutheran World Federation and the World
Council of Churches.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html