From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC ANNOUNCES CHANGES IN AIDS MINISTRY STAFFING

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 27 Mar 1997 19:39:51

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Phone: (310) 360-8640
E-mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com
Fax: (310) 360-8680
Website: http://www.ufmcc.com

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release - March 26, 1997

UFMCC ANNOUNCES CHANGES IN AIDS MINISTRY STAFFING;
SALUTES PIETERS AS "INTERNATIONAL PIONEER IN AIDS MINISTRY"

Los Angeles — The Rev. Troy D. Perry, Founder and Moderator of the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), today announced with
"great regret" the resignation of the Rev. Dr. A. Stephen Pieters as Director
of HIV/AIDS Ministry for the denomination.
	Pieters plans to pursue new avenues of AIDS ministry, including writing,
lecturing and activism.
	"Dr. Steve Pieters is the international pioneer in the field of AIDS
ministry," said Perry. "He has fulfilled an historic role as the first
full-time director of AIDS ministry of any religious denomination or faith
community, a position he has held for more than ten years. In this role, he
has held public policy discussions with President Bill Clinton and
Vice-President Al Gore, and represented UFMCC in meetings at the Carter
Center, the United Nations and the White House." UFMCC is a Christian
denomination with a specialized ministry to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered communities. The denomination encompasses more than 300
congregations in 19 countries.
	"Steve's story is a miracle in itself. In 1984, he was given eight months to
live due to AIDS. I helped his mother and father plan his funeral. But God
had other plans for Steve Pieters," Perry added. Today Pieters is one of the
world's longest surviving persons with AIDS.
	"For more than 10 years, Steve has been at the forefront in developing
ministry
resources and effective strategies to combat the devastating impact of AIDS
and HIV on the lesbian and gay community," said Perry.
	Pieters has vigorously served as one of the most recognized faces in the
fight against HIV. He has been interviewed by the Los Angeles Sunday Times,
Time magazine, Omnimagazine, LIFE magazine, and numerous television talk and
news shows including CNN Headline News, CBS This Morning, the Tom Snyder
Show, KABC Eyewitness News, American Talks Back, Tammy's House Party
(starring Tammy Bakker), and NBC's Real Lifewith Jane Pauley. In 1985, he was
a featured speaker at the first entertainment industry benefit for AIDS
hosted by Elizabeth Taylor and honoring former First Lady Betty Ford. In
1987, he presented the Buddy of the Year Award to Whoopi Goldberg at AIDS
Project Los Angeles annual entertainment industry benefit. His story also
appears in the books, Surviving AIDS by Michael Callen, Voices That Care by
Neal Hitchens, and Don't Be Afraid Anymore, by the Rev. Troy Perry.
	In comments this week, Pieters noted, "When Jane Pauley profiled me, she
said, 'Rev. Pieters beat death, but he's made AIDS his life.'  After 10 years
as UFMCC Field Director, and 15 years of living with AIDS, it is time to
explore new avenues of ministry and service to the AIDS community at-large.
	"AIDS isn't over. And UFMCC's task in this pandemic is not done. There are
still tremendous challenges to be faced.  It is, however, time for new people
and fresh approaches, and I believe it's time for me to move this battle to
new fronts.
	"I challenge UFMCC to continue its international leadership role in AIDS
ministry," Pieters added.
	"While we deeply regret the loss of Steve's powerful ministry," said Perry,
"we are pleased that he has agreed to continue serving as UFMCC's Director of
HIV/AIDS programming through December 31, 1997. The next person who assumes
this position will be measured by the visionary accomplishments that Steve
achieved over ten years of powerful, effective service through UFMCC.
	"Steve Pieters has set the highest standards for AIDS ministry and activism.
He is an international pioneer in this field. I shall continue to rely upon
his advice and  wisdom in the days to come," said Perry. "UFMCC pledges an
unswerving commitment to the AIDS community and will continue to explore new
and effective avenues of ministry in the changing face of AIDS," Perry added.
	Pieters added, "The years I have spent serving UFMCC AIDS Ministry will
always be among the most meaningful and fulfilling years of my life. Living
with AIDS has changed all of us forever. I feel a sense of sadness about
leaving this position, but I also look forward to new opportunities and new
challenges.
	" In 1984, I first coined the credo, 'God is greater than AIDS.'  What once
was a statement of faith is now a known reality.  While I continue to grieve
for all the wonderful people we've lost, I have learned to look forward to
the future with faith and hope."
(END)

Release Date: March 26, 1997