From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC, Perry Respond to Heaven's Gate Suicide

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 02 Apr 1997 14:17:05

^From the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-Mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com
Website: www.ufmcc.com

A Statement by
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
Heaven's Gate Mass Suicide
April 2,1997

COMMENTS BY TROY PERRY:
	"On behalf of the members and adherents of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), I wish to express our deep regret at
the loss of life by the 39 members of the Heaven's Gate mass suicide.
	"Already news magazines and television talk shows have noted the
homosexuality of Marshall H. Applewhite, founder of Heaven's Gate. Already
the Religious Right has claimed this tragedy as another result of the
‘homosexual lifestyle.'
	"The members of UFMCC utterly and completely reject this claim by the
Religious Right.
	"Denial of one's God-given gift of sexuality — including the gift of
 homosexuality — invariably produces emotional tensions that do violence to
the soul and war with the psyche. With more than a quarter century of
ministry to the gay community, I have consistently observed that repression
of one's homosexuality inevitably results in negative and anti-social
expressions. I call upon the news media to expose the true factors which lead
to this tragedy: one man's denial and repression of his God-given sexuality
and, on a greater level, society's rejection of and hostility toward gay men
and lesbians.
	"For 28 years, UFMCC has offered safe, positive, affirming places of worship
where sexuality and spirituality find their integration. Our more than 40,000
gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and enlightened heterosexual members
are eloquent testimony to the power of affirmation and acceptance.
	"The path of repression leads to tragedy. The path of acceptance leads to
wholeness. I encourage the gay community to embrace their sexuality as a gift
from God and to reject all messages which are rooted in denial of one's
wholeness."

(End Of Statement)