From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Congregations Mark Earth Day

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 07 Apr 1997 18:26:55

ELCA NEWS SERVICE - NEWSBRIEF

April 7, 1997

CHURCHES MARK EARTH DAY

"Earth Day was created by secular organizations in 1970," said Job S.
Ebenezer, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's director for
environmental stewardship and hunger education.  "It is time that the
churches consider the biblical call for earthkeeping and the unique
contributions that churches can make in the area of caring for God's
creation."  Ebenezer said, "Toxic waste dumping, incinerator siting,
dangerous working conditions, exposure to lead and other harmful
substances due to poor living conditions are some of the issues that
churches can bring to the attention of governments and corporations.
Bringing hope into hopeless situations should be a priority for
churches."  The National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
has sent a mailing to 51,000 congregations across the United States
asking for their active participation in Earth Day activities April
22.  The congregations belong to a dozen church bodies that make up
the NCC's Eco-Justice Working Group, including the ELCA.  The mailing
suggests that they send letters and pictures of children to President
Bill Clinton urging him to "protect our children's and grandchildren's
future" from the dangers of climate change.  "Concern for the
environment is a matter for people of faith, not only because we are
called to be stewards of God's good creation but because we are part
of God's redemption of the world," said the Rev. Richard Killmer,
director of the NCC Environmental Justice Office.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html