From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Long Island investigation report de

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 08 Apr 1997 07:36:37

April 3, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-1726
Long Island investigation report delayed, effort hampered by unofficial
inquiry

by James H. Thrall
      (ENS) In a report to the Diocese of Long Island, March 3, the
diocesan standing committee explained that an investigation into
allegations of sexual misconduct by Long Island clergy will take longer
than originally expected.
      "As many of you know," the committee stated, "we had hoped to
be able to present a report to the people of the diocese and to the wider
church much sooner than it now appears possible or advisable." The
report also was shared with the House of Bishops meeting in Kanuga.
      The standing committee was charged with overseeing an
investigation into claims made in Penthouse magazine that a Long Island
priest lured young Brazilian men to the diocese for homosexual orgies
with clergy. While numerous interviews have been conducted to
determine what happened, the report notes that "each line of questioning
tends to open the need to make further inquiries to insure we are `getting
to the bottom' of the matter." A firm specializing in forensic auditing
also is looking into any possibilities of financial culpability by those
involved.
      "We believe we are making significant advances in the inquiry,"
the report notes, adding that Bishop O'Kelley Whitaker, retired bishop of
Central New York, who is heading the investigation, "has told us that a
clear sense of what actually took place is emerging."
      The final report may also be delayed until it is clear whether the
Brazilian men involved intend to follow through on threats to file a
lawsuit, the standing committee said.

Unofficial inquiry hampers efforts
      The report warned that the official investigation has been
hampered, however, by a "parallel investigation" being "partially funded
by persons outside the diocese." The unofficial inquiry "opposes the
stand taken by the delegates at convention that the people of the Diocese
of Long Island themselves, through the official bodies of the diocese, can
deal with the issues raised."
      Those conducting the unofficial investigation have been "wrongly
representing themselves as official investigators of the dioceses," causing
confusion to some witnesses, the report notes. The report did not specify
who was conducting the parallel inquiry.
      "You placed the responsibility for this investigation in the hands
of your duly-elected representatives on the Standing Committee," the
report concludes. "We ask that you keep confidence in us as we continue
to pursue this matter to a full and truthful conclusion.

--James H. Thrall is deputy director of news and information for the
Episcopal Church.