From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

April 11-12 National March Against Hate,

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 09 Apr 1997 16:24:20

Columbia, S.C.

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: (404) 221-0025 or (803) 251-0243

NCC4/9/97                       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NATIONAL MARCH OF SOLIDARITY AGAINST HATE SET FOR
APRIL 11-12
By Herb Boyd

A National March of Solidarity to Challenge Hate
in America will be held in Columbia, S.C., during an
April 11-12 assembly that will include a conference
and the unveiling of a monument to commemorate the
burned houses of worship.

"This monument will include the names of the more
than 200 churches that have burned over the last
couple of years," said the Rev. Terrance Mackey,
Pastor of Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
in Greeleyville, S.C., the event's coordinator.  The
U.S. Department of Justice has confirmed that many of
these fires were racially motivated.

"Meanwhile, churches are still being burned and we
are hoping this action, this march will provide
further impetus to develop strategies and tactics
necessary for eradicating the spread of hate and
bigotry in our society," he said.

The April 11-12 events follow on a conference held
last year in Columbia, S.C., where church leaders and
community activists from all over the nation discussed
ways to combat the epidemic of hatred.  The march's
sponsors are the South Carolina Burned Church
Restoration Coalition, South Carolina Committee for
Racial Justice, and Center for Democratic Renewal.

Last week during a press conference at the march
committee's headquarters in Columbia someone shot
through the window, using a high-powered pellet gun.
"They caught the person that did the shooting," the
Rev. Mackey said, "and we have gone on record to let
people know that we are not intimidated by such
cowardly acts."

Featured speakers include the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches; Jim Johnson of the U.S. Treasury Department;
the Rev. C.T. Vivian, noted civil rights activist;
Detroit communicator Joann Watson; Don Rojas, manager
of the Burned Churches Project; Rose Johnson, Director
of the Center for Democratic Renewal; and Ron Daniels,
Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights.

"We hope to have many of the pastors from the
burned churches at the march," the Rev. Mackey said.
"It will also be a moment for us to memorialize the
work of the late Rev. Dr. Mac Charles Jones, who died
in March.  We sorely miss his leadership, and it was
his inspiration that is at the heart of this march."
-end-

2

 -0-