From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA's Participation in President's

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 09 Apr 1997 16:24:21

Volunteerism Summit

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

NCC4/9/97                     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY, COMMUNIONS TO PLAY ACTIVE
ROLE IN PRESIDENTS' VOLUNTARISM SUMMIT

 NEW YORK, April 9 ---- The General Secretary of
the National Council of Churches (NCC) and many
leaders from NCC communions will bring their faith
perspectives and experiences working with youth to
"The Presidents' Summit for America's Future" to be
held in Philadelphia April 27-29.

 The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General
Secretary, will be serving as a co-chair of the
Communities of Faith group of the Summit with at
least eight other religious leaders.  Two heads of
NCC communions have also been invited to be co-
chairs, the Rev. Dr. Bennett W. Smith of the
Progressive National Baptist Convention and
Archbishop Spyridon of the Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America.

 Additionally, the NCC has facilitated naming
over 70 representatives from member communions and
regional ecumenical bodies who will participate in
the Summit.

"We are pleased to help facilitate the
participation of the religious community in the
Presidents' Summit," said Dr. Campbell.  "It will
both highlight and further ministries in which we
have long been engaged.  The needs of youth remain
an urgent priority for our churches and our country.
This ministry is truly an ecumenical calling."

The NCC's Executive Board endorsed the goals of
the Presidents' Summit in February, which involve
increasing volunteer service to help America's youth
to lead healthy, fulfilling and productive lives.
"Teams" of 10 to 12 citizens from each of 100
communities from all 50 states will share models and
begin to develop concrete action plans at the
Philadelphia summit.  In addition to religious
leaders, representatives from businesses,
foundations, government agencies, social work
agencies and labor organizations will also
participate and are making commitments to concrete
plans of action for the coming years.

In support of the Presidents' Summit, the NCC
is encouraging religious communities throughout the
country to enhance their ministries with youth and
children.  The NCC will also identify 8 to 10 model
programs already established among its communions at
the Summit.

"Given a short time schedule, we are grateful
for the cooperation of our member churches in
responding to the Summit," said the Rev. Dr. Albert
Pennybacker, the NCC's Associate General Secretary
for Public Witness and Director of the Washington,
D.C., Office.

-end-
 -0-