From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Raiser Hopes WCC Will Find Financial "Equilibrium"

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 13 Apr 1997 12:04:15

20-March-1997
97130

        Raiser Hopes WCC Will Find Financial "Equilibrium"
                        by The End of 1997

                         by Stephen Brown
                  Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--The World Council of Churches (WCC), the world's biggest ecumenical
organization, which has been facing a severe financial crisis, should reach
"some degree of consolidation and equilibrium" by the end of 1997,
according to the organization's general secretary.

     Konrad Raiser, interviewed by ENI following a meeting in Cyprus last
month of the WCC's executive committee, said that during 1996 the WCC had
been able to reduce its bank overdraft from 20 million Swiss francs (CHF)
to CHF1 million.  This was primarily due to good returns on investments and
favorable exchange rates.

     "Thus we should be able to conclude 1996 with a deficit well below the
amount we anticipated of CHF 2.3 million. We hope these positive indicators
will continue through 1997 so that by the end of 1997 we will have had a
balanced budget," he said.

     Raiser acknowledged, however, that contributions from Germany -- which
account for over 40 percent of the WCC's income -- may drop "significantly"
in 1999, as a result of proposals to cut income tax being considered by the
German parliament. (Germany's main Protestant churches receive a
substantial part of their income from church tax, which is calculated as a
percentage of income tax.) And exchange rates were beyond the control of
the WCC, as for all nongovernmental organizations, he added.

     "This means that we have to find a financial policy that is flexible
enough to react to changing situations, to anticipate risks and to have
sufficient safety built in," he said.

     The WCC's financial crisis has led to major cuts in staffing, from the
equivalent of 237 full-time staff  at the beginning of 1996 to 189 at the
beginning of 1997. According to a press release issued by the WCC after the
Cyprus meeting, "It is likely some reductions in staffing levels will have
to be made in 1998 and 1999."

     Asked about reports in the German media that the WCC could cut up to
70 full-time staff positions by the end of 1998, leading to only 120
full-time staff  at the organization's Geneva headquarters, Raiser said
these figures had been based on financial projections contained in an
internal WCC paper drawn up last November.

     "I would not say that it was speculative, but it was a model
calculation -- an attempt to get a clearer understanding of the structural
factors that have to be taken into account in putting WCC budgets onto a
more sustainable basis," he told ENI.

     Since November "more refined calculations" had taken place, he said.
It seemed possible that the WCC might have CHF22 million in general funds
in 1998 rather than the CHF20 million that had been envisaged last
November. The executive committee had also agreed that a greater proportion
of these general funds could be used for staffing costs than had been
assumed in November.

     Calculations undertaken on the basis of these figures "would mean 175
to 180 full-time staff positions" next year, although Raiser stressed:
"This is still a model calculation and we are only now beginning to put
together staffing figures and to cost this."

     He said, "At this stage it appears that we may not need a further
dramatic reduction in staffing numbers, but we need to wait for more
precise figures before we have certainty."

     The executive committee hoped that the "WCC could retain as many as
possible of its present staff in order to carry through" its assembly,
which is planned for Harare, Zimbabwe, next year. "You cannot in the same
year you have to organize an assembly slash into your staff," he said. "But
we are not yet in a position to make predictions for 1999," Raiser added.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073