From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congregational Involvement Is Key to Revitalized

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 13 Apr 1997 12:04:27

2-April-1997
97145

         Congregational Involvement Is Key to Revitalized
        Higher Education Ministry, Forum Participants Told

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--With denominational funding declining and ecumenical
partnerships unraveling in many parts of the country, the direct
involvement of Presbyterian congregations in campus ministry and college
chaplaincy programs is the key to the denomination's ministry in higher
education in the 21st century, participants in a March 19-20 forum here
were told.

     The forum, "The Church's Mission in Higher Education," was hosted by
General Assembly moderator the Rev. John M. Buchanan.  It fulfilled one of
Buchanan's themes as moderator -- that the church give renewed attention to
its ministry in higher education -- and attracted more than 150
participants to the campuses of the University of Memphis and the
PC(USA)-related Rhodes College.

     Those attending included the presidents of a number of the 67
PC(USA)-related colleges and unversities, who stayed on for the annual
meeting of the Association of Presbyterian Colleges and Universities, and a
sizable contingent of college chaplains and Presbyterian campus ministers,
who remained for the annual meeting of the Presbyterian College Chaplains
Association.

     During his opening remarks Buchanan credited the higher education
leaders for "initiating this conversation -- you came knocking at the
church's door and we are profoundly grateful that you did. It is not a
coincidence," Buchanan said, citing statistics compiled by Louisville
Presbyterian Theological Seminary president the Rev. John Mulder, "that
membership loss in the Presbyterian Church began when the church started
pulling away from colleges and universities."

     "We lose our children because the church is nowhere to be found during
their most critical years," he added.

     Speakers during the forum repeatedly painted a picture of campus
ministries and college chaplaincies in need of reinvention due to dwindling
income from denominational coffers and ecumenical partnerships that have
broken down.  But some news was good.  At Westminster House in Berkeley,
University of California campus minister the Rev. Randy Bare said, the
number of Presbyterian congregations directly supporting the ministry has
grown from three to 18 in the past two years.

     Campus ministry at Westminster House, which for 20 years was an
ecumenical effort operating under the name UNITAS, nearly collapsed three
years ago when the United Methodists withdrew their funding and
Presbyterian governing bodies cut way back on theirs.  Bare, called to try
and rescue Westminster House's ministry, told forum participants that
direct involvement by Presbyterian congregations has quickly turned around
campus ministry at Berkeley.  He is now a parish associate at the two
Presbyterian churches nearest the Berkeley campus, which enables
Westminster House to "be a conduit for students to established traditions
and churches."

     The Rev. Dorothy McKinney-Wright, who for six months has been campus
minister at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, has adopted a
strategy of "bringing town and gown together" by organizing programs that
appeal to both the university and church communities.  As pastor of Faith
Presbyterian Church in Pine Bluff as well as a campus minister at the
university, McKinney-Wright said, she is trying to create in the church
"concentric circles of extended family around each student" and  an
environment in the church where university students "can come and
participate at their own level of interest."

     In Tuscaloosa, Ala., where Presbyterian Church-related Stillman
College coexists with the University of Alabama, the Rev. William Lawson,
pastor of Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church, said the church has embraced
an "incarnational theology where town and gown embrace."

     Lawson said the history of campus ministry in Tuscaloosa has been
marked by alienation -- between the campus and the community and between
the church and the community.  For instance, he said, "Brown Memorial for
many years has hosted chapel services designed for Stillman students, but
until just recently we didn't allow students to even park at the church."

     There was no cooperation between the University of Alabama and
Stillman College and no cooperation between the five Tuscaloosa
Presbyterian churches and Stillman.  Now a number of programs have been
established that involve students from both schools, and forums on such
issues as race relations in Tuscaloosa have been co-sponsored by church and
community groups and held on the campuses of both schools.

     "It has helped a great deal," Lawson added, "that we have a new
president at Stillman and a new president at the University of Alabama who
happens to be a Presbyterian elder."

     Governing bodies, too, are reexamining their role in the church's
higher education ministry.  The Rev. Verne Sindlinger, executive of the
Synod of Lincoln Trails, admitted that middle governing bodies were
"ill-equipped" to handle the shift of responsibility for higher education
ministries from the General Assembly to the synods in 1973.  Now, after
years of declining financial support and ever more tenuous relationships,
he said, "conversations are increasingly being initiated by the colleges."

     With Presbyterian campus ministry or chaplaincy currently on just 15
of the 250 institutions of higher education within the Synod of Lincoln
Trails, the synod has adopted an aggressive new congregation-based strategy
for dramatically increasing the churches' ministry.  "Campus ministry will
be carried out wherever possible through congregations," the synod's
strategy paper declares, and then it invites congregations to "help test
new models for campus ministry" in partnership with the synod and its
presbyteries.

     The Synod of Living Waters has adopted a goal of having a campus
ministry of some sort at every institution of higher education in the synod
within the next few years, said the Rev. Harold Jackson, that synod's
executive.  The synod comprises the states of Kentucky, Mississippi,
Alabama and Mississippi.

     Such cooperative ventures are not without their drawbacks.  The Rev.
Robert Turner, campus minister at the University of Indiana, said some
campus ministers "rather enjoy some of the aspects of distancing themselves
from the church -- there's less politics and personalities to have to deal
with." The Rev. Harry Smith, former chaplain at Austin College in Texas,
said there "will always be a tension between campus ministry
professionals' and  amateurs' in churches who want to do something but
don't know quite what or how."  Smith said the challenge is to provide
"professional campus ministry without churches and governing bodies feeling
left out."

     The Rev. Robert Haywood, campus minister at the University of North
Carolina-Wilmington, said there is great difficulty "intepreting to
churches that campus ministry is so much more than Presbyterian
sheepherding."  Pastoral care of students is important, he said, but
"campus ministry in its fullest sense involves faculty, who are the forces
of continuity in universities, and so church members need to appreciate
ministry to students and to the larger university community."

     Alan Stone, president of Alma College in Michigan, said,
"Presbyterian colleges, anyway, are not just wells of academic achievement.
At Alma we are seeing a tremendous wave of volunteerism and a resurgence of
traditional religious practice.  What we need most are faculty with soul
and academic leaders who can articulate a sense of mission and service and
a greater sense of the campuswide connection to the church and the world."

     The Rev. Lucy Forster-Smith, chaplain at Macalester College, decried
the individualism "that causes us to forget our rootedness."  In the highly
competitive world of higher education today, she continued, "the central
challenge is the mandate to share holy joy -- to infuse joy back into our
institutions."  Calling the task "teaching to Godness," Forster-Smith said
students are struggling to "find roots in the unrelenting transcience of
contemporary society."

     Betty Landman, president of Beaver College in Pennsylvania, agreed.
"I have never seen students more hungry and thirsty for what we have to
offer."  But, she cautioned, "all of us must be involved to provide the
creativity that will produce success -- our survival lies in our
interdependence."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073