From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA ON IRAQI REFUGEES AS "60 MINUTES" PLANS SEGMENT

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 18 Apr 1997 20:29:55

General Contact: Jane Lowicki, CWS/IRP, 212-870-3153

NCC3/24/97

IRAQI REFUGEE STORY #1: LINCOLN, NEBRASKA

 Beginning last fall, widespread media attention
was paid to the story of an Iraqi refugee father who
married his 13 and 14 year-old daughters to men ages
28 and 34, and was charged with child abuse.  Among
others, CBS' "60 Minutes" visited Nebraska to follow
up on the story.

"When they came, I don't think they found the
story they were looking for," said Bill Eddy, co-
chair of the Refugee Resettlement Program Council
for Interchurch Ministries of Nebraska, a Church
World Service Immigration and Refugee Program
(CWS/IRP) local affiliate.

"Instead of public outrage mixed with negative
images of Iraqi or Islamic culture, they found the
community really came together to discuss cultural
differences, and the need for better orientation for
all refugees who are resettled," he said.

There were articles, including an editorial, in
the Lincoln Journal Star about the facts of the
case, highlighting a variety of differing, often
humorous, cultural practices and calling for good
education for new immigrants to help build vital
bridges across cultural gaps.

"I think the most important thing we can say
about the Iraqi incident is that it is very, very
isolated," Mr. Eddy said.  "Of the thousands of
refugees who have been resettled in Lincoln through
our agency and others these past 30 years, an
extremely small number have wound up in legal
trouble.

"That's a credit, first to the families
themselves, who make an effort to know right from
wrong, whether here or in their homeland; and to the
community itself, which has been receptive to
refugee families and encouraged their assimilation
into the city; and to the churches and individuals
who have worked to resettle people from all over the
world."

 "An important aspect of the way we approach
resettlement," Mr. Eddy continued, "is the use of
church sponsorships, which allow for continuing
relationships to develop between refugees and people
in the community.  We make it a point to urge
sponsors to help new arrivals understand American
laws and culture.  If they have questions, they have
several persons to whom they can turn.

"After this Iraqi situation occurred, our
agency reiterated to council members, sponsors,
etc., the necessity of new arrivals understanding --
and heeding -- U.S. laws, while at the same time
trying to understand the cultural differences they
may bring to Lincoln."

While the controversy stirred over the case of
the father and his daughters in Nebraska, members of
Antelope Park Church of the Brethren in Lincoln
greeted an arriving Kurdish family with smiles and
hugs.  The family members fled its native homeland
in Iraq fearing they would be killed and found a
community of support in Nebraska to help them begin
life anew.

George Eisele, an active member of the church,
told the Lincoln Journal Star for an article at the
time, "Ours is a church that happens to be big on
peace and justice issues.  There's the satisfaction
of helping somebody else get out of a bad situation
into a better situation and helping them to be
comfortable and safe."

Another church member John Doran, told the
paper he enjoys visiting the family and learning
about their culture.  He and the kids have fun
teaching each other Kurdish and English words, aided
by lots of pointing and gestures.  The inevitable
mistakes in pronunciation, he said, are a source of
joy and laughter.

-end-

This story was written by Jane Lowicki, Public
Information Officer for the Church World Service
Immigration and Refugee Program of the National
Council of Churches.  She worked closely with IRP's
affiliate Ecumenical Refugee Resettlement and
Sponsorship Services (ERRSS) offices and
denominational sponsors in preparing this report.

For more information about this particular story,
contact: Bill Eddy, Lincoln, Nebraska, 402-489-0439.

* * * *

IRAQI REFUGEE STORY #2: INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA

"Our work with Iraqi single men began three or
four years ago after the end of the Gulf War," said
Church World Service Immigration and Refugee Program
(CWS/IRP) affiliate Director Sylvia Robles at Exodus
Refugee/Immigration Inc. in Indianapolis, Ind.

"I've really enjoyed working with the Iraqis,"
she said.  "They've never been a problem.  The
sponsors have loved them, and they've been very
successful, from some of the first cases taken in by
Diane Novak and her family in Michigan City in 1992,
(see story below), to the many more families who
have been resettled throughout Indiana since.

"There's certainly no reason that the rest of
the people in Rafa (Refugee Camp) should not be
processed for resettlement," she said.

As a member of the 82nd Airborne serving in
Operation Desert Storm, Paul Novak, then 19, made
friends with Rahim, 21, a young Iraqi man who helped
his unit as an interpreter and guide during the war.
When the war was over, arrangements were made to
resettle "Roman," as he was known to the soldiers in
the U.S.  While waiting to be moved out by the
military in Saudi Arabia, he was picked up by Saudi
police, placed in jail and was tortured.

"I have six kids, and I don't usually open my
children's mail," said Paul's mother, Diane Novak,
"but when this letter arrived, something told me I'd
better have a look.  It was from Rahim.  He had
spent seven months in prison and was afraid to go
back to Iraq because he and his brothers had
participated in the uprising against Saddam Hussein.
He needed help to get out.

"I asked Paul who he was, and he said, `He's
great, do it!'  Our family has always been the type
to have people coming and going - foster kids, many
friends, extended family, etc. - so, we decided to
call the American Embassy to try to find him.

 "After a couple of days, they called us and
said they found him in Rafa Refugee Camp.  It turned
out they also found his two brothers, Abdul-Aleem,
two years older and Wisam, two years younger, in
another camp, and they asked us if we'd like to take
three instead of one.  We said okay.  That was March
or April of 1992 and by August Rahim's brothers were
due to arrive before him.

"When Aleem and Wisam arrived at the airport
with other refugees, there was one who went
unaccounted for-Majed.  He didn't speak any English
and had a sticker on him with a 1-800 number to
dial.  We couldn't leave him there, so we took him
home too," Diane Novak said.

"It ended up that he had the same name as
another refugee and had been misrouted.  After a few
days of trying to work that out, my husband said,
`Tell them to forget it.  He's so nice, we're
keeping him too,'" Diane laughs as she recounts the
story.

"That was nearly five years ago.  Over the
years, they worked their way through English classes
and to better jobs in Elkart in the trailer
industry.  Two of the brothers are married now to
Americans and each has a baby girl born a week
apart.  All three brothers live in Chicago, where
one of their wives had found a good job with a stock
brokerage, and they operate their own limousine
business and one also goes to school.  They still
call me mom, and since then my family has helped
more than 50 other Iraqis in our area, and we
haven't regretted a single minute.

"I can assure you," Diane Novak said, "the
bigger reward has been to me and my husband.  Our
biggest problem with them has been stressing the
importance of getting car insurance.  In taking them
here and there, we got to know and became active in
the Islamic community here, learned many recipes,
and where to buy Halal meats!  I would like to think
that if one of my children was somewhere in the
Middle East that some family would take him in and
teach him what to do and how to get along."

-end-

This story was written by Jane Lowicki, Public
Information Officer for the Church World Service
Immigration and Refugee Program of the National
Council of Churches.  She worked closely with IRP's
affiliate Ecumenical Refugee Resettlement and
Sponsorship Services (ERRSS) offices and
denominational sponsors in preparing this report.

For more information about this particular story,
contact: Sylvia Robles, Exodus Refugee Immigration,
Inc. 701 N. Delaware Street, Indianaoplis, IN 46204;
Tel: 317-238-0836; Fax: 317-238-0837; Diane Novak,
Michigan City, IN, 219-874-7857.

* * * *

IRAQI REFUGEE STORY #3: COLUMBUS, OHIO

Columbus, Ohio - "I grew up in the south of
Iraq in a town with 200,000 people," said Riyad, a
25-year-old Iraqi refugee resettled by Church World
Service Immigration and Refugee Program (CWS/IRP)
affiliate Interfaith Refugee Services of Ohio in
September 1992.

"I was in high school when I was 18 and
couldn't finish because I had to join the army," he
said.  "When Saddam was weak after he lost in
Kuwait, we tried to join together to fight against
him.  We couldn't do it. I don't think the [U.S.]
helped us very much when we were fighting against
Saddam.  Many of my friends died.

"When I saw the border open up, I went to Saudi
Arabia to escape.  I don't like Saddam, I don't
believe in him.  When I was very young, he made my
whole family move to the south.  Because of this, I
wasn't able to grow up in my Kurdish community.  I
can't speak Kurdish because I had to be part of the
Iraqi culture because of Saddam.

"I was in Saudi Arabia for one year and two
months," Riyad went on.  "It was terrible.  I was
lucky to have my name picked to be one of the first
to come to the U.S.  First they sent me to Maryland
for two days and then to Ohio.

"The CWS agency there, Interfaith Refugee
Services, helped me a lot.  I went to English
classes and then as soon as I could speak some
English, I asked if they could help me find a job,
and they did.  Now I'm working at a factory, and I
like it.  I'm grateful to America and to be here.

"There aren't any human rights over there [in
Iraq].  Here you have a constitution, but there they
don't.  When I'm at work, the people treat me just
like anyone else.  I have a lot of friends at work,
and sometimes they joke with me because I'm Iraqi,
but these aren't any bad feelings.  I miss my family
in Iraq, but I'm afraid to write them because they
read everyone's mail.  I hope it will get better,
but I don't know."

-end-

This story was written by Jane Lowicki, Public
Information Officer for the Church World Service
Immigration and Refugee Program of the National
Council of Churches.  She worked closely with IRP's
affiliate Ecumenical Refugee Resettlement and
Sponsorship Services (ERRSS) offices and
denominational sponsors in preparing this report.

For more information on Riyad's story, contact:
Ulrike Martin, Case Manager, Interfaith Refugee
Services of Ohio, 5303 N. High Street, Suite D,
Columbus, OH 43214; Tel: 614-841-4975; Fax: 614-841-
5256.

* * *

IRAQI REFUGEE STORY #4: LOUISVILLE, K.Y.

Louisville, KY - "When a Somali Benadir family
arrived in Louisville," said Donna Straus, Director
of Kentucky Refugee Ministries, the CWS/IRP local
affiliate, "the local Methodist Church that
sponsored them wanted to remodel the low rent house
they had found for them and asked if some refugees
who weren't yet working would help out.  We asked,
and the Iraqis and Cubans wanted to help this
Benadir family.

"We had refreshments, jokes going back and
forth, church people hammering next to Iraqis,
hammering next to Cubans, and the Somalis pitching
in.  It was wonderful!," Donna marveled.  "It was a
great expression of the many themes of our
program.".

-end-

This story was written by Jane Lowicki, Public
Information Officer for the Church World Service
Immigration and Refugee Program of the National
Council of Churches.  She worked closely with IRP's
affiliate Ecumenical Refugee Resettlement and
Sponsorship Services (ERRSS) offices and
denominational sponsors in preparing this report.

To reach Donna Straus, contact Kentucky Refugee
Ministries, Inc., 1011 Cherokee Road, Louisville, KY
40204; Tel: 502-452-9055; Fax: 502-458-1420.
 -0-