From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LAMBETH CHAPEL - SUNDAY, 20 APRIL 1997 - ST AUGUSTINE'S SEMINAR

From a.whitefield@quest.org.uk
Date 23 Apr 1997 02:42:59

April 20, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon Jim Rosenthal, Director of Communications
Anglican Communion Offices
London, UK

1205 ACC

BRIEF REFLECTION - LAMBETH CHAPEL - SUNDAY, 20 APRIL 1997 - ST
AUGUSTINE'S SEMINAR
The Rt. Revd Roger Herft

1 Corinthians 15:8 "Last of all, as to one untimely born he appeared
unto me" John 21:7 "That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter `It is
the Lord'"

The Lambeth Conference 1998 is scheduled to be the largest ever.

The truth about a great production is to link the big picture alongside
the drama of everyday life.  This has been particularly true of recent
Hollywood movies be it the playing out of an invasion from outer space
as in Independence Day, the tragedy and sacrifice of war in the English
Patient; the greed and profit in modern sport Jerry Mcguire, the
capacity to win out against prejudice and disability as in the
Australian movie Shine.  These big picture issues be it race, war,
revolution, Aids, or other significant dilemmas happen not just out
there but within our own  human experience.

One such comes to mind - the young sports agent Jerry Mcguire leaves his
wife who had stood by him in order to search for a football star who
wouldgive him all the profit and fame in life.  When this dream is
fulfilled he finds his life empty.  He decides to go back to his wife's
house and arrives in the midst of a meeting of women who have been
betrayed by their former partners.   Jerry enters this hostile place and
squeaks out a nervous hello - this is greeted with icy silence.  "I am
looking for my wife" he says.  She appears.  He tells her for all to
hear the circumstances that led to his leaving.  He concludes "I love
you.  You complete me".  There is a moment of silence.  She moves
towards him with arms outstretched saying  "You got me with "Hello" - I
love you"

The Christian community reflected in the Gospel of St John has this same
parallel attached to it.  Issues of eternal significance, too large for
human comprehension are played out in ordinary human interactions.
Whether it is in the theme of ritual water becoming Gospel wine, the
wedding at Cana; being born again Nicodemus - the wise seeking wisdom by
night; worshipping God in spirit and in truth, the Woman of Samaria -
her bucket and her desire for living water; bread of life, light of the
world - parents ashamed of their blind child - the Good Shepherd the
True wine. The Gospel's centre is the death, resurrection event in a
family bonded by a friendship with Jesus.  The Glory of Redeeming love
is the cross.  I if I be lifted up will draw all people to me.  The
truth of risen life comes with the calling of a name "Mary" a presence
in the midst of doubt that says to Thomas "Come and touch my wounds,
handle and see a memory that scorches through the confusion felt by the
disciples reminding them of their first meeting and the call to follow.
The common is transformed in the framework of resurrection mystery -
time, history is transcended.  The fish placed on charcoal flames, a
familiar greeting that moves through shut doors - "Peace be with you".
A new life offered every time words are spoken, bread and wine broken
and poured out.

St John's gospel describes a God who completes us.  All that is required
is a recognition of emptiness the rolling away of stones from the tombs
of our making and the courage to say "hello" - to the Risen Christ.

The Lambeth Conference is a large scale event - it is a gathering
historic in nature and of vital importance to the evolving  Anglican
Communion.  The context of our world will be with us represented by the
Bishops and others gathered.  It will be around us and interpreted for
us by the media.  The poet R R Thomas' reflection is true "Where there
is no earth there can be no resurrection".  The dramas of our lives
however small and the larger issues of the world are the dust upon which
God breathes resurrection.  The papers we prepare at this seminar, the
programme, the events might have the sense of a Hollywood epic about
them.  Yet it is more than an event, it is an opportunity to discuss
renewed resurrection presence.

The great vision of Isaiah for the good news to be brought to the
oppressed, to bind up the broken hearted, release to the prisoners and
to proclaim a year of the Lord's favour a jubilee time, must be held in
that poignant testimony of St Paul "Last of all as to one untimely born,
he appeared also to me".  Or the Johannine whisper to Simon Peter - It
is the Lord.

The Lambeth Conference stands or falls on its ability to hold the big
issues of our world within the dramas of life played out in every
participant's life and to proclaim the truth of resurrection presence to
both.  It is said that the world may set our Agenda, but it is God who
calls the Meeting.  The Lambeth Conference must enable us to say "hello"
to the Risen Christ, to each other and to the issues of our time.

We seek God's guidance at this Seminar to say our hello to each other
knowing that we belong to a weak, common, yet glorious body of people
called the church, described by  St Anslem as  a resurrection people
whose song is Alleluia.

A song we sing at times wearily, often lacking authenticity, yet
gratefully, so that the whole earth may feel the breath of Easter -
Christ, crucified and risen - the hope of Glory.