From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Continue Response to Midwest Floods

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 25 Apr 1997 20:06:09

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 28, 1997

LUTHERANS CONTINUE RESPONSE TO MIDWEST FLOODS
97-15-043-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "The catastrophic disaster continues to
unfold in North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota," said the
Rev. Leon A. Phillips Jr., executive director of Lutheran
Disaster Response.  "In most areas, the battle goes on, and
cleanup is still well down the road," Phillips said.
     Nestled beside the Red River, the campus of Oak Grove
Lutheran High School, Fargo, N.D., is now completely flooded,
reported the Rev. John G. Andreasen on April 23. Andreasen is the
school's president.  "Over the past week the water engulfed the
entire athletic field, threatening the buildings on campus.  Oak
Grove was a fortress surrounded by dikes and sandbags in a
dramatic attempt to protect the school.  Now, we look out to a
five-foot lake," he said.  Oak Grove is the only residential high
school of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     "The staff and so many residents are exhausted physically
and emotionally," said John J. Scibilia, ELCA's director for
schools.  "Their faith and endless energy are a testimony to
their commitment and dedication to the Christian educational
tradition at Oak Grove.  Holding back the water is a job for
today, but holding back then letting go of the tears of fatigue,
frustration and anguish will be a long task," he said.
     Classes will continue for Oak Grove students across the Red
River at Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.  Concordia is one of
28 college and universities associated with the ELCA.
     "We are excited that our students will be able to continue
their education on the college's campus," said Andreasen.  "Not
only do they have access to classroom facilities, but students
have the opportunity to be exposed to the professional areas of
the college's library and computer technology facilities," he
said.  "We see the body of Christ working together as a whole."
     Lutheran Disaster Response, a joint ministry of the ELCA and
the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, is coordinating flood relief
efforts through Lutheran Social Services (LSS) of Minnesota,
North Dakota, and South Dakota.
     "Right now, things are really difficult," said the Rev.
Keith D. "Tony" Ingle, president of LSS of North Dakota.  "We
have a rather sustained flood that has continued to grow and has,
in fact, passed all historical watermarks that we know," he said.
     "We see the flood process in three phases.  The first phase
was helping people in the flood control process.  The second
phase will be the clean-up.  We need to recruit and organize
volunteers who are willing to come and help for a few days to
give folks who are just worn to a frazzle a break.  Economic
assessment and development is the third phase," said Ingle.
     Lutheran Disaster Response has issued $130,000 in initial
grants for emergency response in the flood zone of northwestern
Minnesota and eastern North Dakota.  "Emergency equipment,
generators, sump pumps and heaters have been purchased and are in
use in endangered areas," said Phillips.  Lutheran Disaster
Response will use 100 percent of designated funds for flood
relief efforts.
     Lutheran Disaster Response coordinators are in place in
three states to provide emergency response: Bonnie Turner,
Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota, Fargo; the Rev. Raymond
A. Engh, Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota, Sioux Falls;
Melanie Josephson, Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota, St.
Paul.  "Additional staff persons will be added," said Phillips.
Once the flood waters recede, volunteers from across the country
will be called to assist in cleanup and recovery efforts.
     The ELCA's Southwestern Minnesota Synod, Redwood Falls, has
designated April 26 and 27 to be "special days of prayer in a
spring time of storms, floods, recovery and hope."  The Rev.
Stanley N. Olson said, "The need for help and prayer will
continue for weeks and months to come.  In days like these, our
trust is tested.  We see again that we are not in control of our
destinies.  However, over the generations, Christians have found
that times of difficulty and trouble can nourish and deepen faith
in God."  Olson is bishop of the ELCA's Southwestern Minnesota
Synod.

     DOMESTIC DISASTERS
     Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds for
     aid to survivors of major disasters including the
     United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands,
     please include:
                   Lutheran Disaster Response
                         P.O. Box 71764
                     Chicago, IL  60694-1764