From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

SCOTLAND: BISHOP TO WALK AROUND HIS DIOCESE

From a.whitefield@quest.org.uk
Date 27 Apr 1997 08:47:27

TITLE:SCOTLAND: BISHOP TO WALK AROUND HIS DIOCESE
April 25, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon Jim Rosenthal, Director of Communications
Anglican Communion Office
London, UK

[97.4.4.5]

SCOTLAND: BISHOP TO WALK AROUND HIS DIOCESE

(ACNS - The Scottish Episcopalian) The Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney,
the Rt Revd Bruce Cameron, is putting his best foot forward and plans to
walk to every congregation in his diocese over the next two years.

Walking bishops are not unusual in parts of the Anglican Communion,
where cars or even bikes are considered a luxury.  In Scotland St Ninian
may have walked around southern Scotland centuries before but today
walking Scottish bishops are more unusual.

The Bishop aims to walk the hundreds of miles in seven or eight blocks
spread over two years starting from St Andrew's Cathedral in Aberdeen on
22 June. The bishop will have to resort to ferries to take him to Orkney
and Shetland. The walks will form a special pilgrimage:"I want to
highlight the relationship all the churches in the diocese have with
each other and hopefully I will be joined by members on each leg to
emphasise the idea of pilgrimage,"he explained.