From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

College News

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 02 May 1997 18:01:05

23-April-1997
97175

                           College News

                         by Julian Shipp

WOOSTER, Ohio--Barbara Hetrick, vice president of the Maryland Independent
College and University Association and former vice president and dean of
academic affairs at Hood College, has been named vice president for
academic affairs at Wooster College. Hetrick, whose appointment is
effective July 1, succeeds R. Stanton Hales, who was named Wooster's 10th
president in 1996 after serving from 1990 to 1995 as vice president. Hayden
Schilling has been the acting vice president of academic affairs during the
past two years.

STAUNTON, Va.--Mary Baldwin College announced recently that an anonymous
donor has made a cash gift of $10 million, the largest cash gift ever
received by the college and among the largest gifts ever given to a woman's
college. This gift is unusual not only in its size, but also in its
purpose, which is to fund several one-time projects. The gift will allow
the college to enhance facilities and educational opportunities in the
areas of technology, math and science and the restoration of historic
buildings. "This is not business as usual," commented Cynthia H. Tyson,
college president. "This money will be used to directly improve the quality
of education we offer students and will help position Mary Baldwin for the
21st century."

KERRVILLE, Texas--Schreiner College president J. Thompson Biggers announced
recently the resignation of Garrett Mynatt as Schreiner's vice president
for administration and finance, effective May 31. Biggers stated, "Mr.
Mynatt has expressed his family's desire to relocate to the Southeast,
where he has spent much of his life. We have tried to talk them out of this
decision but to no avail. He has given 14 years of valuable service to this
institution during some of its most exciting times. We will miss him and
his contribution to the college." Tom McSkimming, currently Schreiner's
controller, will become acting vice president for administration and
finance and will work with Mynatt to ensure a smooth transition.

RALEIGH, N.C.--Peace College president Garrett Briggs, 62, announced his
retirement plans to the board of trustees March 20. The board accepted his
retirement, effective June 1998. Briggs will continue to serve as president
while the presidential search committee seeks the college's ninth
president. "These have been nine very satisfying and challenging years for
me as we have all worked closely to develop the intellectual and physical
assets of Peace College," Briggs said. "My wife, Sue, and I are looking
forward to retiring to the beautiful North Carolina mountains." Formerly
dean of the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences at North Carolina
State University, Briggs came to Peace College in 1988 as its eighth
president with intentions to stay for 10 years. During his tenure, Briggs
has led Peace College to achieve many of its goals. He led the college from
junior college to baccalaureate and encouraged the elections of alumna
Sherry Cameron Worth  64 and Carol Bilbro, chair and vice chair,
respectively, of the college's board of trustees.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>