From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Native American Christians and Traditional

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 19 May 1997 13:53:57

Contact: Carol Fouke, NCC, 212-870-2252

NCC4/21/97 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Practictioners Call for Change in Relationship
between Indian Community and Church Bodies
National Council of the Churches of Christ
Internet: c/o carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

By Robert Lear

 OKLAHOMA CITY, April 21, 1997 ---- "All people
of good heart" have been called to stand with Native
Americans and other indigenous people in confronting
racism and all "consequences that compromise the
integrity of our God-given spiritualities" languages
and customs.

 That call is at the core of a 300-word
statement introduced April 19 at the close of a
three-day international, interfaith consultation
here on the heritage and future of native peoples.
More than 90 persons from a dozen mainline
Protestant, conciliar, and Roman Catholic groups,
and traditional native practitioners attended the
sessions.

 "We declare to all that we will no longer be
invisible participants in the church and American
society,"  the statement says.  We will no longer
tolerate the colonial imposition of European church
structures and doctrine on indigenous communities."

 The statement asserts that the "Gospel of Jesus
Christ demands that we (the American Indian
Christian Community) be freed from the yoke and
mantle of traditions and structures that .
contribute to the disintegration of our cultural
heritage, communal harmony and the God-given right
to self determination."

 A committee drawn from consultation
participants drafted the statement.  Although not
formally discussed or adopted, it was in harmony
with the presentations and discussions of the three
days.  Accompanying the statement were suggestions
of implementing strategies.

 Key themes in the statement appeared frequently
throughout the three days:  "Spirituality,"
"genocide,"  "sacred sites,"  "sovereignty,"
"racism,"  "Eurocentric religion."

 "Native people do not have the same religious
freedom as other citizens," said Sammy Toineeta, a
member of the Lakota Nation who staffs the National
Council of Churches racial justice program.
Toineeta also warned that tourism and development
are threatening sacred sites.

 Ola Cassadore Davis of the Apache Survival
Coalition in Arizona, Kaleo Patterson of the Justice
for Kanaka Maoli Initiative in Hawaii, and Jean
LaRose of the Amerindian  Peoples Organization in
Guyana joined in the concern for sacred sites such
as Mt. Graham in Arizona where an 800-year old
shrine now has been put off limits by governmental
authority.

 Dr. George E. Tinker, an Osage and Cherokee who
is professor at Iliff School of Theology in Denver
and pastor of a Native American Church, singled out
"oppressive" structures of Christianity brought by
missionaries.

 "The Christianity imposed on us was a European
Christianity," he said.  "Maybe we don't have to
build a church in English style before we can be
Christian."

 The Rev. Paul Ojibway, director of the Graymoor
Ecumenical and Interreligious Institute's Washington
office, called spirituality an essential part of
native communities.  Language and symbols are the
way we express "what is most sacred to ourselves,"
he said.

 In the closing address of the consultation, Dr.
Henrietta Mann, a Cheyenne who is professor of
Native American Studies at the University of
Montana, Missoula, said that indigenous peoples
"have gone through a long cold winter" of
discrimination, desecration and deprivation.  "But
now the winter is over, the much awaited springtime
is here, and we must rebuild."

 However, she cautioned, "it is past time for
empty words-as empty as the words on the (hundreds
of) treaties with the government (that was)
established on our land."  Native peoples, she said,
were not "put on earth to have our ways denigrated"
and "our culture, our ceremonies and our thoughts
assaulted."

 Worship at sunrise and tribal singing marked
each day of the consultation.  The closing service
with a number of native elements was a memorial for
the 168 people killed in the bombing of the Alfred
P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.  The
victims included Raymond L. Johnson, husband of Anne
Marshall, a staff executive of the United Methodist
Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious
Concerns, who chaired the planning committee for the
consultation here.

 Theme of the consultation was "Honoring the
Past: Building for the Future."  Sponsoring bodies
were Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), The
Episcopal Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, International Council of Community
Churches, Interfaith Relations Commission of the
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A., Oklahoma Conference of Churches,
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Tekawitha Conference
of the Roman Catholic Church, United Church of
Christ and United Methodist Church.

-  end  -

Statement of Participants in the Consultation on
 Honoring the Past: Building for the Future
Oklahoma City
April 21, 1997

On the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing at a
historic gathering of Native American Christians and
Native American practitioners we are reminded once
again of the history of violence in North America
and the resulting culture of violence in the United
States.  This ecumenical and interfaith consultation
declares that we will no longer tolerate the
colonial imposition of European church structures
and doctrine on indigenous communities.

The American Indian Christian community declares
that the Gospel of Jesus Christ demands that we, as
a People, be freed from the yoke and mantle of
traditions and structures that have and continue to
contribute to the disintegration of our cultural
heritage, communal harmony and the God-given right
to self determination as children of the Creator and
sisters and brothers in Christ.

As we journey together as the People of the one
Creator of all, we declare to all that we will no
longer be invisible participants in the church and
American society.  As a People of dignity, honor and
respect, we call on all people of good heart to
stand with us in confronting the systemic and
institutional racism, marginalization and fear - and
all their consequences that compromise the integrity
of our God-given spiritualities. The authenticity of
our individual and tribal histories also includes
preservation of our identity, language and custom,
and the possibility of our sovereignty as indigenous
nations before God and the world.

In this historic meeting, the American Indian
Christian and Traditional practitioners committed
themselves to a fundamental change in interfaith and
ecumenical collaboration in the life of the churches
with the national American Indian community.  In
particular, the Consultation develops positions on
issues of sacred sites, sovereignty, spirituality,
and youth.

-end-
 -0-