From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Management Consultants Propose Sweeping Changes

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 02 May 1997 18:01:25

21-April-1997
97168

         Management Consultants Propose Sweeping Changes
                   in Assembly-Level Operations

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--With General Assembly deadlines fast approaching, how to
get an outside consultant's just-finished recommendations on overhauling
the management of the General Assembly Council (GAC) into the hands of
commissioners to the 209th General Assembly consumed the Council's
Executive Committee in a brief meeting here April 3-4.

     The organizational and management assessment -- ordered by last year's
General Assembly after an intensive study of the denomination's structure
-- focuses on already identified problems with Corporate & Administrative
Services (CAS) and the Office of the Executive Director and between the GAC
and other denominational corporate entities. It also proposes developing a
"unified vision of the church's activities at the national level."  The
management report recommends that a Blue Ribbon Commission be established
to rethink how the General Assembly functions, how the Presbyterian
Center's role is to be shaped for the future and how six separate national
entities may function with more common policies and procedures, if not some
consolidation.

     "The problem is that we're [still] redoing what we did in 1920," said
the Rev. William Phillippe of Alexandria, Va., a pastor and former interim
GAC executive director who assisted Arthur Andersen LLP, the Washington,
D.C., consulting firm that was hired last November to review the
denomination's management network.  "And we need to seriously rethink that.

     "We need to visualize what the national expression of the church needs
to be and do in order to enable our pastors and congregations to be
effectively in mission at this point in time."

     Simply put, Arthur Andersen's two representatives, Joan Elise Dubinsky
and John Klaffky, told the GAC's executive committee that the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) "cannot act like a single denomination until it has
developed a unified vision of the church's activities at the national
level" -- minus what it calls "Balkanized behavior" among church leaders,
competing understandings of the purpose of the Presbyterian Center,
outdated accounting practices and a decision-making style that is so
diffuse no decision is ever final and consequently is always open to
dispute.

     The Executive Committee will review the report during its April 25 -
May 3 meeting in Seoul, Korea, with comments in hand from the Council's 97
members and from the Board of Pensions, the Presbyterian Church (USA)
Foundation, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, the Presbyterian
Investment and Loan Program and the Committee on the Office of the General
Assembly (the other major Assembly-level entities). The committee agreed to
mail the report to commissioners to the 209th General Assembly before the
April 18 deadline, with a letter explaining that further GAC comments will
be reported to the Assembly after the Council's June 10-12 meeting in
Syracuse.

     "We had two choices," GAC chair Youngil Cho of Raleigh, N.C., told the
Presbyterian News Service after the meeting.  "The GAC could adopt [the
recommendations], correct our situation and make a report to the General
Assembly.  Or we could comment and send the report to the General Assembly
to make the decisions.

     "We decided to go the second route, so the General Assembly will make
the decisions."

     It also voted to sell the 120-page report through Distribution
Management Services for $1, to post it on the denomination's Web page and
to begin a PresbyNet meeting for discussion of the proposed
recommendations.

     The Andersen report recommendations include the following:

          reducing the scope of essential CAS services to budgeting,
accounting, information
          technology and systems, as well as finance, treasury and
controller, in order to focus on
          improving what the report calls  "poor execution and performance
of services" in the
          needed areas of budgeting and cash receipting.  Oversight of
legal, property
          management, internal audit and human resources services under the
executive director's
          office would be placed in the supervision of a recommended
position of chief operating
          officer.
          establishing in CAS a customer service orientation and creating
business processes that
          "are less complex and more straightforward," remedying the
competing current
          understandings held by CAS and other ministry units about whether
CAS is a regulatory
          body or a customer service agency.
          creating two positions within the executive director's office,
with an executive director
          assigned externally focused responsibilities, such as strategic
planning, governance and
          management, fund-raising and development, and relationships with
other GA entities,
          and a chief operating officer assigned managerial and
administrative responsibilities
          within the Presbyterian Center.  The report defines the current
executive's job
          description as a "mission impossible," full of competing
expectations (such as being a
          business executive, spiritual leader and pastoral care giver)
within an organizational
          design that grants the GAC executive less authority than any of
the executive's
          counterparts in other GA entities.
          establishing a Blue Ribbon Commission to be staffed by the
interim executive director
          and the stated clerk to submit a new organizational design that
may consolidate some,
          if not all, of the six related entities; establish basic policies
and procedures to link the
          related entities together; and write brief vision statements for
all entities, ensuring that
          the statements "depict a single, integrated organization," the
lack of which is cited by
          the report as a cause of recurrent organizational turmoil now.

     "This is the hardest recommendation we'll make to you," Dubinsky told
the Executive Committee, adding that considering structural redesign
intimidates most organizations. The report says the denomination "cannot
afford the continuation" of the current level of internal conflict and
disputes about authority among the six related entities, nor can the
PC(USA) "act as one church until the six related entities share a common
identity and vision."

     The Andersen report indicates that the six entities currently

          reject any authority other than the General Assembly, which only
meets for one week
          each year and has continually changing membership
          speak two incompatible languages -- religion and business -- and
"few are bilingual,"
          making dialogue problematic
          devise business practices that overlap and compete rather than
support a "seamless
          delivery" of systemwide services
          recycle rather than resolve disputes in a consultative
decision-making environment that
          is often time-consuming and inefficient and seldom final.

     The report recommends that a new organizational design be brought to
the 1998 General Assembly, with a plan to implement it no later than the
year 2000.

     "The heart of this report is change," said Cho, a professor of
business, who told the Presbyterian News Service that he anticipated this
level of proposed change in the report.  "[The change is] to improve the
service of the PC(USA) to the glory of God, to be more efficient, to be
more economical.

     "We are living in a very sophisticated world.  Our church did not
update [to the level of] modern organizations.  This should have been done
a long time ago."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>