From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

U.S., Mexican church leaders urge economic

From powellb@ucc.org
Date 09 May 1997 07:46:43

reform
May 7, 1997
Office of Communication
United Church of Christ
Barb Powell, press contact
(216) 736-2217
E-mail:  powellb@ucc.org
On the World Wide Web:  http://www.ucc.org

Church leaders ask U.S., Mexican presidents
to revise economic policies

CLEVELAND -- While the presidents of the United States
and Mexico met this week, the presidents of two
Protestant churches in those countries said economic
policies are hurting people on both sides of the
border and urged the government leaders "to create
new, just and equitable economic programs."
      The plea came in a letter to U.S. President Bill
Clinton and Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo from the
Rev. Paul H. Sherry, president of the United Church of
Christ, and the Rev. Daniel Celis Arceo, president of
Iglesias Cristianas Congregacionales de Mexico (ICCM).
The letter was timed to coincide with the meeting of
the two countries' leaders.
      "We would like you to know that we U.S. and
Mexican Christians, having been challenged by the
Biblical call for justice and liberation, lift our
voices for those who are suffering under the current
economic programs and plead that you both begin to
work to create a new, just an equitable economic
policy," Sherry and Arceo wrote.
      Among the problems cited by the two church
leaders are the accumulation and retention of wealth
by a limited number of people and corporations; the
impoverishment of millions of people, accompanied by
loss of personal esteem, basic services and social
welfare (food, health care, housing, education and
employment); and transnational companies who continue
to ignore environmental laws.  They also noted an
increase of violence, insecurity, and the trafficking
of drugs to the United States, as well as massive
migration from Mexico to the United States.
      The letter was prompted by a request from more
than 120 Christians who attended a conference on new
economic systems -- including the North American Free
Trade Agreement (NAFTA) -- held in Claremont, Calif.,
in February.
      Participants in the conference -- the Dr.
Alberto Rembao International Lectureship -- examined
the consequences of NAFTA and the globalization of
industry, agriculture and production, and the failure
of these developments to take into account the
characteristics and necessities of each country and
its regions.
      The United Church of Christ, with national
offices in Cleveland, and the Iglesias Cristianas
Conregacionales de Mexico share common roots with the
Pilgrims of the Mayflower.  The UCC, with local
congregations in the United States and Puerto Rico,
was formed by the 1957 union of the Congregational
Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed
Church.  The ICCM was established in 1872, and was one
of the first Protestant churches established in
Mexico.
# # #

EDITORS AND PRODUCERS:  Here is the full text of the
letter to U.S. President Bill Clinton and Mexican
President Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon, by the Rev.
Paul H. Sherry and the Rev. Daniel Celis Arceo.

"'The field of the poor may yield much food, but it is
swept away through injustice' (Proverbs 13:23).

"We signers of this letter greet you on behalf of our
respective churches, the United Church of Christ in
the USA and the Iglesias Cristianas Congregacionales
de Mexico, in light of your upcoming meeting in
Mexico.

"We understand that much of your conversations will
focus on economic relations between the two countries,
particularly on the consequences of NAFTA and the
economic policies each administration is pursuing.

"While global economists and experts proclaim the
successes of these policies, we know that, for many,
they have caused new suffering and deeper
impoverishment.  Over 120 Christians from your
countries met earlier this year in the Second
International Lectureship 'Alberto Rembao' in
Claremont, Calif., hearing testimonies of what has
been witnessed on both sides of the border and
reflecting on the critique those testimonies direct to
current economic policies.  We heard about:

"1. The accumulation and maintenance of wealth by a
relatively small group of people, families, and
corporations;

"2. The impoverishment of millions of people with
subsequent consequences -- the loss of self-esteem,
basic services and social welfare (food, health,
education, employment and shelter);

"3. The increase of violence, insecurity, drug
consumption and trafficking, mass migration, and
social instability;

"4. The imposition of a globalized economic policy
which does not take into account the characteristics
and necessities of each country and its regions;

"5. Transnational companies who continue to ignore
environmental laws, and contribute to the destruction
of the environment.

"We want you to know that we U.S. and Mexican
Christians, having been challenged by the Biblical
call for justice and liberation, lift our voices on
behalf of all who suffer as a result of our current
economic program, and we implore you to begin work
toward the creation of a new, just, and equitable
economic policy during your time together.

"We close this communique with the hope of receiving a
timely response from you following your meeting so
that we may share them with our members, but most
importantly, so that it can be seen as a demonstration
of your willingness to construct a more just and
compassionate world.  May God bless and guide you
both, Mr. President Clinton and Mr. President Zedillo,
during your conversation and decisions.

"'Justice exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to
all people' (Proverbs 14:34)."