From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ENGLAND: MORE THAN ONE IN TEN CLERGY NOW WOMEN

From a.whitefield@quest.org.uk
Date 10 May 1997 12:01:02

Title:ENGLAND: MORE THAN ONE IN TEN CLERGY NOW WOMEN
May 8, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon Jim Rosenthal, Director of Communications
Anglican Communion Office
London, England

[97.5.1.3]

ENGLAND: MORE THAN ONE IN TEN CLERGY NOW WOMEN

(ACNS)  A tenth of the Church of England's clergy are women, according
to a survey carried out by the National Association of Diocesan Advisers
in women's Ministry.  Nearly 400 women are in charge of parishes.

The survey is the first national survey of the situation since women
were ordained priests in March 1994. By the end of July 1996 there were
1,957 women in licensed ministry in the 43 dioceses. Almost half of them
are paid a full stipend.  Most are middle-aged, with relatively few
below 40 or over 60 years old.

More than 200 of these women are in "sector" ministries, working as
chaplains in hospitals, prisons, universities, colleges and in industry.
Six  out of ten are married, 306 of them to clergymen.

The diocese with the largest number of women is Oxford with 101 followed
by Southwark and St Albans. The Bishop of Ely, whose diocese has the
highest population of women in charge of parishes, writes:"I am happy to
bear testimony to the warmth of the welcome given by many different
types of parishes to the ministry of women priests.  It is very
encouraging to note that in such a short time, there are so many
ordained women serving the Church of God and in relatively significant
posts.  As anticipated, there is  a marked enrichment of the life of the
Church of England through these developments at every level.  I do not
ignore continuing conflict, of course, but we pray for one another and
seek to know and do God's will.'