From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Litany For Presbyterians

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 May 1997 01:14:41

2-May-1997
97179

             Litany For Presbyterians Affirming The
     Church's Commitment to Racial Justice And Reconciliation

                         by Julian Shipp

[Editor's note: The following litany of recommitment will be read June 6 at
Matthews-Murkland Presbyterian Church as part of the Moderator's Conference
on Racial Justice and Reconciliation in Charlotte, N.C. The litany will
also be used by Presbyterian churches nationwide June 8, making the
conference a nationwide event.]

O God, who created the heavens and the earth and made human beings in your
own image, charging us to care for all that lives; O God, who made men and
women to live in community, responding to their Creator with grateful
obedience, even when the human race broke community with its Maker and with
one another, you did not forsake it. ("Book of Order")

FOR YOUR INFINITE AND ETERNAL NATURE, WE GIVE THANKS.

In the resurrection of Jesus Christ you give the assurance of your victory
over sin and death and the promise of your continuing presence in the
world. ("Book of Order")

FOR YOUR GRACE, WE GIVE THANKS.

O God, whose redeeming and reconciling activity in the world continues
through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, who confronts
individuals and societies with Christ's Lordship of life and calls us to
repentance and to obedience in your will; ("Book of Order")

FOR YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS AND JUSTICE, WE GIVE THANKS.

Christ's life as a human involves the church in the common life of people.
His service to others commits the church to work for every form of human
well-being. His suffering makes the church sensitive to all the sufferings
of humankind so that it sees the face of Christ in the faces of people in
every kind of need.  His crucifixion discloses to us your judgment on our
inhumanity to each other and the awful consequences of our own complicity
in injustice. In the power of the risen Christ and the hope of his coming
we see the promise of your renewal of human life in society and of your
victory over all wrong.  (The Confession of 1967)

FOR YOUR VICTORIOUS NATURE, WE GIVE THANKS.

O God, your reconciling love overcomes the barriers between people and
breaks down every form of discrimination based on racial and ethnic
differences, real or imaginary. As the church, we are called to bring all
people to receive and uphold one another as persons in all relationships of
life. Therefore we labor for the abolition of all racial discrimination and
minister to those injured by it. In whatever form -- as congregations,
individuals or groups of Christians -- when we exclude, dominate or
patronize others, however subtly, we resist the Spirit of God and bring
contempt on the faith which we profess.  (The Confession of 1967)

LORD, GRANT US THE STRENGTH OF YOUR HOLY SPIRIT.

In the tradition of generations past, we realize that the path to racial
freedom and justice calls for basic changes in attitudes and behavior; we
recognize that these changes cannot take place without cost and sacrifice.
Indeed, we believe that the call of love and obedience involves cost and
sacrifice. Knowing this, we again call on Christians and Presbyterians in
particular to discharge a faithful stewardship in these matters, trusting
in God. (The 176th General Assembly Minutes)

LORD, COMMIT US TO YOUR TASK OF RECONCILIATION.

As together we remember the fires that consume and view the ashes that
symbolize the residue of confusion and hate that still resides with us,
consecrate us as we commit ourselves to fulfill your divine purpose by
working together to establish your just and righteous kingdom here and now,
everywhere and forever.

LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>