From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA/CWS PART OF WORK TO BAN LANDMINES

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 16 May 1997 16:37:42

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet: c/o carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

NCC5/16/97  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"PRESIDENT CLINTON, NOW IS THE TIME TO BAN
LANDMINES,"
SAY RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL LEADERS AND LANDMINE
SURVIVORS

 WASHINGTON, D.C., May 16 ---- Old shoes were
piled high today across the street from the White
House to illustrate a grim statistic - 26,000 people
around the world lose life or limb each year to
anti-personnel landmines.

The shoes were center stage at the "Ban
Landmines Now!! Action Day Rally" in Lafayette
(Peace Park), co-sponsored by Lutheran World Relief,
the U.S. Campaign to Ban Landmines and Church World
Service, the humanitarian assistance ministry of the
National Council of Churches.

"We are here today to say to the President of
the United States, 'Enough is enough.  You need to
sign on to an international ban of landmines now,'"
said the Rev. Dr. Rodney Page, CWS Executive
Director, addressing the 250-member audience.

 President Clinton could be getting those and
other shoes in the mail soon, from Americans asking
him to make good immediately on his year-old promise
to support a total ban on the use, manufacture,
stockpiling and export of antipersonnel landmines.

 Petitions signed by 110,000 people from across
the nation were delivered to Washington, D.C., this
week, asking President Clinton to join the many
countries preparing to sign the international
"Ottawa Treaty" banning anti-personnel mines at a
December 1997 conference in Ottawa, Canada.

 Tun Channereth, a 37-year-old Cambodian whose
legs were blown off when he stepped on a landmine in
1982, urged Americans to follow up by sending "one
or two shoes" to President Clinton along with their
plea that he sign the Ottawa Treaty.

 Although President Clinton has agreed to
negotiate a treaty banning anti-personnel mines
through the United Nations Conference on
Disarmament, that body has declined to take up the
issue this year and ban activists say that the U.N.
process is sure to take too long while people
continue to be killed and maimed.

 "I heard yesterday that the President has said
the United States probably won't sign onto the
Ottawa Treaty," said Mr. Tun, here as part of his
three-city U.S. tour under Church World Service's
auspices.  "I trust that those of you here today
will say to him, 'This is not acceptable!  We insist
that you sign!  The United States should live up to
its reputation as a role model for other countries
and do the right thing in December.'"

Mr. Tun encouraged people to make banning
landmines their first priority.  He described how
mines continue to be laid in Cambodia - so many that
in spite of the concentrated efforts and millions of
dollars spent on demining, there are as many or more
landmines in Cambodia as there were when demining
began.

 More than 100 million landmines litter the
earth, killing and maiming innocent people every
day.  Most casualties are civilians, and 60 percent
are children under age 15.

 "I'm often asked why Americans should care
about landmines," said Jerry White of the Landmine
Survivors Network, Washington, D.C.  "One reason is
Americans actually are affected by landmines.  The
plague is creeping closer to us."  He pointed out
that U.S. peacekeepers, relief workers and tourists
have been killed and maimed by landmines.

Mr. White himself lost a foot to a landmine
while on vacation in Israel.  Added Rabbi Amy Klein
of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism,
Washington, D.C., 90 percent of landmines used
against U.S. soldiers in Vietnam were either made in
the United States or manufactured with U.S.
components, and landmines were responsible for 34
percent of U.S. casualties during the Gulf War.

Quipped Mr. White, "Now that President Clinton
has spent some time on crutches, he should be even
more sensitive to this matter."

 The rally drew participants from the religious
community, the Afghan community, physicians groups
and the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation,
among others.  Speakers included three children,
among them Allan Schaeffer of Brooklyn, N.Y.

 "President Clinton talk about protecting
American kids from drugs and tobacco," he noted.  "I
agree with that, but if he really cares about the
children of the world, he'll make the United States
a leader in this campaign" against landmines.  Added
Christina Verigan, a 15-year-old from New Jersey,
"President Clinton, we are the people.  We say, stop
the mining now!  We are the children and we are
dying.  We are Americans, and the world is waiting
for our leadership."

 On Thursday, May 15, Mr. Tun was among speakers
at a news conference held by Senator Patrick Leahy
(D-Vt.) in support of an immediate landmines ban.
"So far, about 60 countries have signed on or
pledged support to the Ottawa ban, "but that is not
enough," Mr. Tun said.

 Representatives from the U.S. Campaign to Ban
Landmines handed Sen. Leahy the petitions with more
the than 110,000 signatures, collected since May by
the Campaign, Church World Service and Lutheran
World Relief.

"When I first started on this issue, I could
look around and be lucky to find 12 people
interested," Senator Leahy said.  "Today, I believe
there is a ban in sight."  He added, "Trust me, this
is going to be mentioned on the floor of the Senate
quite a bit in the next few weeks.  This is truly a
moral issue, which is why so many churches have
joined (the fight for a ban)."

Mr. Tun expressed gratitude to the countries
who have already decided to sign the ban treaty that
will be completed in Ottawa, Canada in December. He
said, "At least 30 countries are waiting to see what
the U.S. does on this issue."

At events in Chicago, New York City and
Washington, D.C., Mr. Tun has explained the
suffering that he and others around the world have
experienced as a result of landmines.

 He told a gathering at the Interchurch Center
in New York City, "I have never tasted true peace."
He described a life of war, displacement and loss
during which he has spent most of his years in
refugee camps.  After stepping on a landmine in 1982
and losing both of his legs, Mr. Tun lost hope.
Realizing he would spend the rest of his life in a
wheelchair, "I wanted to die," he said.

But then three and a half years ago, he was
able to get employment with Jesuit Services in
Cambodia where he and other disabled people design
and produce wheelchairs suited to individual needs.
He joined the effort to ban landmines, helped get
his own government to agree to a ban, and has spent
the last three years traveling all over the world,
including to England, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland
and Mozambique, to bring the same message to those
countries.

 "As it is now, my country is going to suffer
(from landmines) for the next 50 years," Mr. Tun
told several groups he visited.  "If you don't ban
landmines now, we will never be able to see an end
in sight."

 "I am not here for myself," Mr. Tun concluded.
"The damage has already been done to me.  I am here
for my children and my neighbors' children.  I
maintain hope that children in my country will be
able to experience lasting hope, more than I have
been able to experience, but (this will happen) only
if there is a ban on landmines."

-end-
 -0-