From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Question Detention of Journalist

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 30 May 1997 15:02:00

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (131
notes).

Note 130 by UMNS on May 30, 1997 at 16:10 Eastern (1688 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Bloom                             318(10-71B){130}
         New York (212) 870-3803                     May 30, 1997

Unofficial United Methodist network expresses
concern about detention of Palestinian journalist

by United Methodist News Service

     The Middle East Network of United Methodists, not officially
related to the denomination, has expressed concern over the
unexplained detention of a Palestinian journalist by Yasir Arafat's
Palestinian Authority.
     Daoud Kuttab -- a U.S. citizen whose live television
broadcasts of the Palestinian Legislative Council were thought to
irritate Arafat -- was summoned to the Ramallah police station May
20 and not released until May 27. He told the New York Times he was
never interrogated or charged during that period.
     In a May 28 letter sent to Arafat, the Middle East Network
applauded Kuttab's release, but questioned his arrest and detention
and the fact that he was prevented access to his family and U.S.
officials.
     "We support the principles of human rights, self-
determination, rule of law and freedom of expression as God-given,"
the letter said. "Therefore, just as we strongly support self-
determination for the Palestinian people, we join with numerous
Palestinian organizations in calling for the Palestinian Authority
to adhere carefully to these principles of human rights and
democracy."
     The network is affiliated with the Methodist Federation for
Social Action.