From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: United Methodist Daily News note 2870

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 25 Aug 1997 14:27:51

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24 Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED
METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (280 notes).

Note 280 by UMNS on Aug. 25, 1997 at 15:45 Eastern (2603 characters).

TEXT: United Methodist Newsman Assigned to White House
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                       468(10-71B){280}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470             Aug. 25, 1997

New CBS White House correspondent,
Scott Pelley, a United Methodist

by Robert L. Robertson*

     DALLAS (UMNS) -- Scott Pelley, a Dallas-based CBS News
correspondent currently assigned to the "CBS Evening News" with
Dan Rather, has been named chief White House correspondent for the
network, effective Sept 1.
     Pelley, his wife and two children, are active members of
Preston Hollow United Methodist Church in Dallas.
     In an interview before leaving Dallas, Pelley spoke about the
tension and pressure associated with newsgathering.  "I would hate
to cope with that tension without a relation with God," he said.
"There are ethical dilemmas daily. Not only are we seeking the
truth, but trying to present that truth in a fair and balanced
way."
     He said faith provides an "inner peace" in his busy life.
"Church every Sunday is ethical recalibration for me ... I look
for some sort of relation to the sermon and what happens in the
real world.
     "Explain to me the Scriptures and what was happening, but I
have a real hunger for some of that relevance explained to today.
The sermon gives me perspective."
     Pelley expressed gratitude that his pastor, the Rev. Tom
Brown, had invited him to meet regularly to discuss his sermons.
     As Pelley begins his new assignment, he said he would
continue to focus daily on "eleven, three, grace", three words
that have become an expression of faith. "There are 11 million
people watching CBS Evening News; three people back home depending
on me; and I am woefully deficient in grace ... I must seek it
from the Lord."
     Pelley's current duties include "Eye on America" special
reports on the CBS Evening News and coverage of the Oklahoma City
bombing trial.
     Recently he reported from the scene of an airplane crash in
Delhi, India. He covered the Los Angeles earthquake, the Branch
Davidian raid and stand-off outside Waco, and the World Trade
Center bombing.
     He also reported live during the Iraqi missile attacks on
Saudi Arabia and joined the troops of the 18th Airborne Corps for
combat coverage of the invasion of Iraq and the liberation of
Kuwait.
                              #  #  #

     * Robertson is editor of the North Texas Conference Reporter
newspaper.