From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Lutherans See the World at Global Mission Events

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 04 Aug 1997 23:14:14

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 4, 1997

LUTHERANS SEE THE WORLD AT GLOBAL MISSION EVENTS
97-25-075-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- About 2,600 members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America gathered from around the world for two Global Mission Events with the theme "Look to Jesus -- Run the Race."  Similar events took place July 10-13 at Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill., and July 17-20 at Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, Texas.  About 2,000 participants gathered in Wheaton and about 600 in Seguin.
     "Jesus is the human face of God," said Dr. Elsa Támez, president of the Latin American Biblical Seminary, San José, Costa Rica.  "To look at Jesus is to feel sure and confident about ourselves because we know God is there; to put our eye on Jesus is to discover the will of God for our day."  Támez was the keynote speaker at both events.
     "Instead of running a race to strengthen our body and spirit, we
dehumanize ourselves and others through competition," said Támez.  For
Christians, our race in life is not the one set by American society, she said.  "The race is a struggle" not a competition where "a neighbor becomes an obstacle to overcome.  When our eyes are on Jesus, this type of competition does not exist."  Patience and perseverance are more important than "being number one," Támez said.  "God will give us the strength to run the race of life."
     The Rev. Bonnie L. Jensen, executive director of the ELCA's Division for Global Mission, Chicago, spoke at the events' opening celebrations.  "We, who are members of the most powerful nation in the world, dare not speak of mission as conquest; but mission is walking with the outcast, the humble," said Jensen.  Americans can learn from other Christians around the world to pray from their hearts, to talk boldly about Christ, to be less preoccupied with material things and to dismantle racism, she said.
     Dr. He Qi, art instructor at Nanjing Theological Seminary and Nanjing University in China, said he was introduced to the "imported religion" of Christianity through art.  He spoke to participants via videotape and a live telephone conference from China.
     "I have a dream," he told them, "to use Christian art to let the
Chinese people know that Christianity is not just a Western religion.  It belongs to our Chinese people, too."  Dr. He said his dream "shares a message of love and peace."
     ELCA missionary staff came from many countries to take part in the Global Mission Events, along with international guests from partner churches around the world.  Worship included music from Africa, Asia, Latin America, North America and Europe.
     "Jesus was once a refugee.  As a child, he and his parents escaped Herod's death squads and fled to Africa," said the Rev. Stephen Larson, pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Geneva, Switzerland, during the events' Sunday worship service.  "Look to Jesus and you may find yourself looking into the face of a Rwandan refugee child."
     The events' theme served as the focus of a "Global University" that offered 130 courses in more than 400 seminars and another 100 sessions of videotapes or conversation.  Topics ranged from the current peace process in Liberia to HIV/AIDS, from promoting gender equity to Christian outreach in Chinese Hong Kong.  A special "track" of courses offered in Seguin concentrated on Latino ministry while courses in Wheaton gave insight into Islam.  Youth participated in global programs designed for junior high and senior high school ages at each event.
     An offering given at the opening worship service in Seguin -- $2,400 -- was divided among the Oaks Indian Center, Oaks, Oklahoma; the "Z" Place, Zion Lutheran Church, San Antonio, Texas; and the ELCA's Corridor Ministry on the border between the United States and Mexico.  The offering from the opening worship service in Wheaton -- $6,300 -- was divided between Lutheran Family Mission of Chicago and the Southwest Asian Outreach ministry of Central Lutheran Church, Des Moines, Iowa.  A second offering at each event was given to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html