From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Call for younger deputies sent out

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Aug 1997 10:38:26

August 6, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-1914
Call for younger deputies sent out
from General Convention

     (ENS) Youth had an impact at the 72nd General Convention and,
if the intent of one resolution is achieved, it will have even more in the
future.
     The resolution as passed encourages dioceses to include at least
one person under age 30 in their deputations to General Convention.
     "We cannot speak to whether the house over the past several
conventions is getting older," said Byron Rushing of the Diocese of
Massachusetts, chair of the Committee on Structure. "But we do know
that there are approximately 36 to 42 deputies in this house of over 800
under the age of 40."
     "As far as I know I am one of three delegates on the floor right
now who is under 30~three out of 814," said Philip Brochard of the
Diocese of California. "We always talk about how the future and the
mission of the church is the youth and young adults. I submit that the
present is part of that."
     Firm statistics on the ages of deputies were hard to come by. The
Episcopal Society for Ministry in Higher Education estimates there were
only 19 deputies under 40 years of age. One deputy was 22 years old, as
was a fourth alternate in one of the deputations. The youngest clergy
deputy was a 31-year-old priest from Minnesota, the Rev. LeeAnn
Watkins.

Youth speaks, but would like stronger voice
     Only two youth per province hold seat and voice~but not
vote~at the convention. "With us having a vote, we know that our
thoughts will make an effect in the life of the church," said provincial
youth representative Leslie Grooms of Chicago.
     "Just having a voice doesn't assure anything," she said. "Having a
seat and voice is but a small step in the youth becoming stronger in the
Episcopal Church."
     Several deputies objected to a motion restoring the original form
of the resolution, which would have designated special diocesan youth
representatives from each diocese.
     Diane Pollard of the Diocese of New York drew an analogy
between such representatives and the "special representatives" of other
groups in years past~including women and African-Americans.
     "Our church has never done very well by making special
representatives of special people or special groups," Pollard said. "I think
that we need to go home and do our job, develop some young people and
bring them here as full-fledged members."
     The official youth presence from the nine provinces, sitting for
the first time with diocesan deputations rather than in a separate section,
felt its role at the convention has increased but could still be greater.
     In preparation for convention, the group learned how General
Convention operates, even holding mock hearings. They met with
Presiding Bishop Edmond Browning and House of Deputies President
Pamela Chinnis.

Addressing the houses
     Jaime Rios of Trinity Church in Baytown, Texas, was chosen by
his peers to carry their message to the House of Bishops. "I was a little
scared at first," he said, but he received encouragement from his own
bishops. "I had 10 minutes to tell the bishops what the youth wanted to
say."
     Rios said he believes the most important statement he made was a
call for bishops to "move youth to the top of their agenda" in a real way.
"I asked them to devote a piece of their budgets (and) more of their time
to strengthen the youth programs in their dioceses."
     Acknowledging the honor he felt in being chosen to represent the
church's youth, Rios said he realizes his presence also will pave the way
for future youth representation from each diocese. "I must admit I didn't
fully understand the impact the youth presence could have until I got
here," he said. "I'm very pleased with the way we've been received and
been allowed to speak at hearings and on the floor."
     Kelly Fayard of the Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast addressed
the House of Deputies, and Kelly Goddard of the Diocese of Milwaukee,
Edwin Johnson of the Diocese of Massachusetts and Amy Brojakowski
from the Diocese of New York spoke before the Episcopal Church
Women Triennial.
     Bishops also made youth a focus of their tribute to Edmond
Browning, the outgoing presiding bishop, as they established a fund in
his name for a proposed pilgrimage of young people from the Episcopal
and Japan to Pearl Harbor, Okinawa, Hiroshima and Nagasaki next
summer.
     In other actions, convention approved resolutions:
     ~ continuing provincial training in the use of materials developed
by the church for the prevention of AIDS among teen-agers;
     ~ requesting that each diocese study "A Children's Charter for
the Church";
     ~ urging parishes to teach youth about and "support sexual
abstinence, self-respect, resistance to peer pressure and respect to those
who say `no' to sex before marriage."

~based on articles by the Rev. Jan Nunley, communications officer for
the Diocese of Rhode Island, and Carol E. Barnwell, communications
officer for the Diocese of Texas.