From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PILP Reaches $10 Million Mark Ahead of Schedule

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 09 Aug 1997 11:02:06

30-July-1997
97299

      PILP Reaches $10 Million Mark Ahead of Schedule

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The total balance sheet of the Presbyterian Investment and
Loan Program (PILP) has reached the $10 million mark ahead of schedule,
according to officials.

    The Rev. Kenneth G.Y. Grant, PILP president and chief executive
officer, said that management and directors of PILP initially predicted the
corporation's balance sheet would total $10 million by the end of July.

    "We beat the prediction," Grant told the Presbyterian News Service.
"Our total balance sheet is now just shy of  $11 million."

    Hailed as a denominational success story since its inception in 1996,
PILP has now invested more than $4.1 million, and the total number of
investments has surged beyond 160. Grant said two very different and
committed types of investors are now stepping forward to build the future
of the church.

    To date, individual investors have invested $813,000. These investors
are people from all walks of life from congregations in all parts of the
country -- individuals, Grant said, who have invested amounts up to
$100,000.

    "More importantly, we continue to see that support of the church's
future through investments in not for the wealthy only," Grant said.
"Individual investors step forward with investments beginning at $1,000.
People step forward because [PILP] puts investors in direct contact with
borrowing congregations. The relationship that develops brings great
satisfaction from real knowledge of the church-building mission their
investments support."

    Grant said that to date 20 PILP "Partners in Mission" have invested
more than $3.3 million. These partners are congregations, presbyteries,
synod and General Assembly entities. Grant said PILP has heard three
stories from its partners. One: PILP is an exciting place to "store" money
until it's needed. Two: PILP provides a great investment opportunity that
offers congregations  inexpensive mortgage money. And three: PILP's
partners are stepping forward because PILP offers churches growth
investment.

    "Each investment helps the PC(USA) grow church by church, building by
building," Grant said. "Each investment improves the probability that those
who have not met Jesus Christ will do so. Our investors are faithful and
committed Christians who want to share the good news."

    Grant said PILP's present loan assets total $5.3 million and the
program's 1997 loan underwriting total is $1.85 million. To date, PILP has
committed to nine loans not yet closed totaling $7.5 million.

    "Our loan underwriting standards are top quality -- consistently,"
Grant said. "We simply offer a great mortgage for local congregations
[that] want to grow."

    Grant said congregations that receive PILP mortgages can count on low
interest rates. Since PILP began underwriting mortgages, its loan interest
rate has remained at 8 percent with incentives that allow a congregation to
reduce the effective mortgage rate to 7 percent -- something that has not
changed since PILP began.

    On the investment side, PILP continues to offer investors attractive
returns on their investments from both a financial and a mission
perspective. The past 10 months reflected slight fluctuation in the market
on CD interest rates. Since PILP's rates are determined by the average CD
rates of the top 100 U.S. banks, its rates have followed market
fluctuations.

    For example, Grant said, PILP's current fixed rate for July on a
one-year investment is 5.25 percent APY (annual percentage yield) and for a
five-year investment is 5.84 percent APY. PILP's net cost of funds has
remained relatively constant, so while investors earn competitive interest
rates, congregations continue to benefit from inexpensive mortgage rates.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>