From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

First PYC Event Attracts Nearly 600 Delegates

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 09 Aug 1997 11:03:45

6-August-1997
97306

    First Presbyterian Youth Connection
    Event Attracts Nearly 600 Delegates

    by Julian Shipp

SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa.--Nearly 600 youth and adult delegates gathered on the
campus of Slippery Rock University here July 23-27 for Connection '97, the
first national youth event of the Presbyterian Youth Connection (PYC).

    PYC's purpose is to celebrate, educate, train and resource young people
and youth leaders. Under the theme "Fulfilling Visions and Dreams,"
conference participants spent five days engrossed in workshops, worship,
recreational events, presbytery group meetings and legislative sessions.

    According to Gina B. Yeager, associate for youth ministry in the
Congregational Ministries Division and a Connection '97 Design Team member,
the event had three primary goals: to equip youth and young adult leaders
with skills for youth ministry; to advocate for young people through the
church and society and encourage youth to speak for themselves through the
legislative process; and to connect leaders to each other, building
identity, belonging and community.

    "It was a phenomenal week from a variety of standpoints," said the Rev.
Bill Frances of Denver, a Connection '97 Design Team member. "One, in the
caliber of the outstanding young people who attended and participated, and
two, the whole idea of partnership, which was modeled throughout the week
extremely well."

    "I have never seen a group of youth and young adults come to an event
so willing to work, to work to get the job done, and to do so with energy
and, for the most part, good humor," said the Rev. Susan Faye Wonderland, a
Connection '97 Design Team member and PYC regional coordinator from
Middletown, N.Y. "Connection '97 was filled with a spirit of promise and
expectation -- for the church and for our world. There were visions and
dreams abounding. The presence of the Holy Spirit was unmistakable."

    Frances said he too was impressed with how well the youth and young
adults worked together through the committee and legislative processes of
the meetings as well as on the stage during worship and plenary sessions.

    According to Wonderland, the week was bracketed by a lifting up of the
Connection '97 theme during worship. Opening worship was based on Acts 2
(Pentecost) and closing worship was based on 1 Samuel 3 (the call of
Samuel).

    During opening worship, dancers from East Liberty Presbyterian Church
in Pittsburgh began the evening with an interpretive dance around the
Pentecost story. After the dance, Connection '97 participants energetically
joined in, waving colorful streamers while singing "Our God is an awesome
God."

    Rodger Nishioka of Chicago, keynote speaker, preached on the theme of
Acts 2, calling the event the "Pentecost Assembly" and challenging
participants to begin to think about what difference the first Connection
event would make in their lives and in the life of the church. On July 23,
24 and 26, Nishioka also picked up on the themes from the five intentions
of the Presbyterian Youth Connection. Banners depicted a keyword for each
intention: incarnation, identity, belonging, community and evangelism.

    During closing worship, Wonderland preached on the themes of Acts 2 and
1 Samuel 3, reminding participants of the visions and dreams that had been
a part of their time together at Connection and challenging them with the
thought that "God's call, God's good dreams come not only to us, but God
desires they flow out through us in our words and actions."

    Frances said the event was markedly different from the Presbyterian
Youth Triennium event held every three years. Connection '97 was geared
toward training youth leaders from each church presbytery. Delegates had
the opportunity to participate in four workshops: service and mission,
spirituality, the Presbyterian Youth Connection and recreation.
Consequently, they received hands-on instruction on how to lead and carry
out the different aspects of their personal faith as it pertains to their
presbytery youth programs.

    The second significant piece of the conference dealt with legislative
issues. Each youth and young adult delegate was assigned to a committee,
much as commissioners to the General Assembly are assigned. There were more
than 20 committees and, just like at the Assembly, delegates could submit
resolutions and overtures prior to the event and during the first two days
of the conference. These committees gave youth the opportunity to test
their legislative skills as well as seriously discuss the concerns they
were given to work with.

    Matt Wallace, a youth delegate from Lake Michigan Presbytery, said
participants earnestly struggled to come to decisions that were faithful --
both in committee and on the floor of the "Assembly." For instance, the
final legislative session lasted until just after 1 a.m. July 27. The
"commissioners" insisted on finishing the business of the day.

    "The youth really made a statement to the church on that last day of
the legislation," Wallace said. "Around midnight, many were ready to throw
in the towel and admit that it was just too complicated, that we just
couldn't decide any more. But finally the consensus was that we had a job
to do and we were going to stay until we finished."

    Co-moderators Andrew Buckley and Kelly Rudolph were elected to serve
until Connection 2000 and moderated the legislative session of the
conference. They were facilitated by the Rev. Margie Wentz, stated clerk of
the Synod of Southern California and Hawaii. While all duties of the co-
moderators have not been specified, they will meet with the executive
committee of the National Presbyterian Youth Ministry Council this fall to
further define their roles and duties.

    Officials have scheduled PYC events for the next three years. In 1998,
the Presbyterian Youth Triennium will be held. In 1999 regional events are
planned in the six PYC regions, and Connection 2000 will be held the
following year.

    However, participants say Connection '97 is impacting the life of the
denomination now.

    "It changed the way youth ministry is done in our presbytery in the
space of one week," said the Rev. Karen Jones, Youth Committee chair of
Lake Michigan Presbytery.

    "Connection '97 -- wow!" opined Kyra Wonderland, a Connection '97 youth
leadership member of Hudson River Presbytery. "Involvement, energy, voice,
God. I've never felt closer to God that at Connection. We are making the
difference; we are the now."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>