From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran-Episcopal Proposal Introduced to Lutheran Assembly

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 15 Aug 1997 22:20:34

August 15, 1997

LUTHERAN-EPISCOPAL PROPOSAL INTRODUCED TO LUTHERAN ASSEMBLY
97-CA-04-FI

     PHILADELPHIA (ELCA) -- "Today we stand at a unique place in American
religious history," the Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, told the ELCA Churchwide Assembly
during its first business session Aug. 15.  He issued the first analysis of
a proposal for Lutherans to enter into "full communion" with The Episcopal
Church.
     Full communion would not be a merger of the two churches.  It is
characterized by a recognition of each other's ministries, sacraments and
confessions.  It would also establish an atmosphere of common decision
making.
     The Concordat of Agreement between the two churches describes ways to
implement full communion, including methods for the Lutheran church to
incorporate the historic episcopate -- a continuity of passing the
Christian faith from generation to generation through church structures --
which is enjoyed by The Episcopal Church.  Those methods are at the center
of debate during the Lutheran assembly.
     Anderson initiated that debate.  "The most difficult question for me
has to do with the proposal in the Concordat of Agreement that the bishops
of the ELCA participate in the historic episcopate," he said.  If Lutherans
adopt "the laying-on of hands" for their bishops, "will we soon find
ourselves replacing our traditional emphasis on the power of the Word by a
new emphasis on the human transfer of authority through the historic
episcopate?"  Anderson asked.
     Lutheran churches in Sweden and Tanzania, for example, already
participate in the historic episcopate, said Anderson in response to his
own question.  Those churches have maintained their Lutheran identities and
flourished.  He said Lutherans around the world are accustomed to adopting
a variety of church structures to best facilitate their ministries.
     "It is certainly possible for an evangelical understanding of
ministry to include the historic episcopate," Anderson said.  "It is
possible to have a certain church polity and to interpret it in many
ways....  The path our church takes is up to us."
     The General Convention of The Episcopal Church adopted the Concordat
when it met here in July.  The Rt. Rev. Edward W. Jones, bishop of the
Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, brought the results of that vote to the
Lutheran assembly.
     The whole world could benefit from Lutheran-Episcopal dialogues that
began 28 years ago, leading up to this vote, said Jones.  "The Concordat
has breathed new live into the ecumenical spirit of Episcopalians," he
said.  Christians around the world and even the unchurched are looking for
a model of reconciliation.
     "Do our divisions allow us the best possible witness of our Lord?"
the Rev. Paul J. Blom, bishop of the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod,
Houston, quoted the Archbishop of Canterbury George L. Carey, leader of the
global Anglican communion which includes The Episcopal Church.  Carey spoke
with Lutheran and Episcopal bishops last fall about the proposal for full
communion.
     Blom likened the two churches to railroad tracks running parallel to
each other, both going in the same direction.  The Concordat can represent
railroad ties that better define that relationship.  He invited assembly
voting members share stories from their home congregations that illustrate
local Lutheran-Episcopal partnerships in ministry.
     "We have gone about as far as we can go without addressing the issue
of ministry -- cooperation on more than an ad hoc or personal basis,"
Anderson told reporters later.  The time has come for the two churches to
formally recognize the validity of each other's work.
     The ELCA Churchwide Assembly continues through Aug. 20 in the
Pennsylvania Convention Center.  Rules adopted during the opening business
session will affect the timing of votes taken on the Concordat and a second
proposal for the ELCA to enter into full communion with three Reformed
churches -- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and
United Church of Christ.
     Formal debate on the Reformed proposal will begin the morning of Aug.
17.  At the end of that debate, which could continue Aug. 18, debate on the
Episcopal proposal will begin.  At the close of both debates the assembly
will vote on the Reformed proposal and announce the results before voting
on the Episcopal proposal.  Both votes are expected to be completed by the
afternoon of Aug. 18.

For information contact:

Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html