From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christians witness as neighbors Martinson looks at multifaith context

From David Pomeroy <wfn@igc.apc.org>
Date Sat, 23 Aug 1997 09:16:11 -0700 (PDT)

Christians witness as neighbors
Martinson looks at multifaith context

Lutheran World Federation

HONG KONG, July 25, 1997 (lwi) - "Christian existence, based on the story
of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, is a life of witness to that
story," said Paul V. Martinson professor at Luther Seminary St. Paul, Minn.
"If by faith we live in that story, as trustworthy neighbors we will live
that story out in deed and word," he said in a July 14 address to the
Assembly.

We have neighbors who are Muslim, Hindu, Confucian or Buddhist. "Is our
neighbor also our friend? Well, let us first be a friend to our neighbor,
not an enemy or a judge," Martinson said during the Assembly session
"Mission and dialogue: Witnessing in a multifaith and multicultural
setting."

"In true friendship we are changed. Can we join hands with our neighbor as
we work for a just and livable world? Of course."

The distinctiveness of the Christian faith is that "only the Christian
community desires to base its entire existence upon the story of the life,
death and resurrection of Jesus," he said. "Now, of course, that story
needs interpretation. But whatever interpretation is given, it must be
faithful to that story," Martinson said.

"Our relationship to one another is a relationship of equals," he said. No
one is more important than anyone else. This is so, no matter what
position, wealth, intelligence or strength anyone might have," he said. "We
also have a relationship with the world around us," Martinson said. "We
have received our neighbor and this world as a trust."