From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New President Plans Significant Changes

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Aug 1997 18:32:28

20-August-1997
97325

    New President Plans Significant
     Changes at Knoxville College

    by Julian Shipp

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.--As the new president of Knoxville College, Barbara R.
Hatton faces the challenge of leading the financially troubled college into
the next century -- and she plans significant changes at the historically
black and Presbyterian-affiliated institution.

    After years of economic instability at the college, the Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) withdrew the school's
accreditation in March. This has resulted in severe repercussions,
including crippling the college's ability to seek funds for financial aid.
The college's board of trustees has decided to undergo the lengthy process
of applying for SACS accreditation this fall, but only 200 students are
expected when classes begin Sept. 5 -- mostly freshmen and sophomores.

    Crucial issues facing the college, some of which were cited by SACS in
their decision, include

    *  a debt of $3 million explained as "Knoxville in debt to itself."
       There are not a lot of creditors the college owes, but it has
       difficulty funding its operations.
    *  planning and evaluation deficiencies -- cited by SACS as being
       related to scholastic achievement, the college library, student
       publications and several administrative processes.
    *  financial aid problems. The financial aid office has undergone
       extreme difficulty, with the previous director being terminated
       after SACS cited the college for misappropriation of student loan
       funds with USA Funds (an educational loan guarantor). The college is
       also owed several hundred thousand dollars in outstanding student
       loans.

    "The college is experiencing some temporary problems, but we have not
survived for 122 years without making a major contribution to society,"
Hatton told the Presbyterian News Service. "We have weathered other storms
in the past and we are confident we'll turn things around at Knoxville
College and put it on sound academic and financial footing.

    "Knoxville College has a rich tradition," said Hatton, whose sister
graduated from the institution. "We have many challenges ahead, but with a
reorganized board of trustees, a new president and our plans to reach out
to our alumni, our friends, supportive corporations and foundations, we can
build a new and even better Knoxville College."

    A nationally known educator and former deputy director of the Ford
Foundation's Education and Culture Program, Hatton has also been an
assistant professor in Stanford's School of Education and president of
South Carolina State University in Orangeburg. She did her undergraduate
work at Howard University in Washington, D.C., earned her master's from
Atlanta University and a second master's and Ph.D. from Stanford.

    Hatton said Knoxville College is making an urgent appeal to local
churches but will also approach the larger denomination as it establishes
its work and precollegiate programs. Locally, for example, she said, the
college is now seeking support to restore the campus Presbyterian church.

    Nationally, Hatton said, the college will look to the denomination for
advice and counsel on becoming "self-sustaining and self-sufficient over
time." She said she believes Knoxville College can learn much from the
management and policy framework of the PC(USA), particularly regarding how
the denomination manages its properties and assets.

    "I think that is a natural partnership for the college to seek with the
church," Hatton said. "I believe we can learn from the expertise that the
Presbyterian Church has gathered over the years."

    Danna M. Wood, chair of the Knoxville College board of trustees and
former assistant dean of Columbia University School of Social Work in New
York, said the Knoxville chapter of the college alumni association held a
breakfast in July attended by the mayor and other local community and
business leaders.

    Wood, an attorney and Knoxville College alumna, said community leaders
are concerned over how the college has been managed in the past but still
consider the institute an important educational, economic and cultural
resource for the area. While making no firm promises to would-be students,
Wood said the school expects to regain its accreditation in two years,
possibly sooner.

    "One of the things we're talking about doing is building our ties
within the Knoxville community," Wood said. "That may take the form of
developing work/study programs that would be held in the community. We're
also looking at doing some redevelopment work in Mechanicsville, [Tenn.].
We're getting a very positive response from the community and that's
critical to our success."

    One significant recruiting tool being used by the college this year is
the "Student Education Sale," according to George E. Curry, a Knoxville
College alumni and editor-in-chief of  "Emerge: Black America's
Newsmagazine." A first for the college in its 122 years, residential
students under the plan could pay less than $3,000 this academic year in
out-of-pocket expenses.

    Knoxville College is offering a one-time opportunity to attend college
for as little as $2,350 to $2,600 in cash, depending on individual needs
and grades, for the 1997-98 school year. It typically costs $9,872 to
attend Knoxville, but through a combination of grants, scholarships and
work aid, Curry said, students will be able to attend classes at the
college by paying less than $3,000, payable in installments.

    "We're hoping this will attract two kinds of students," said Curry, who
also chaired the search committee that recommended Hatton as president to
the board of trustees. "One, those who've put off going back to college,
and two, students who are willing to risk being part of this new experiment
as we rebuild Knoxville College. It requires a certain amount of trust on
their part, but some of us wouldn't put our reputations on the line to be a
part of Knoxville College if we weren't sure we could pull this thing off."

    The denomination and church leaders are also supporting the college as
it works toward recovery. In February, the Rev. Mary Newbern-Williams,
associate for racial ethnic schools and colleges in the National Ministries
Division (NMD), and the Rev. Curtis A. Kearns Jr., NMD director, went on a
fact-finding tour to Knoxville College, Barber-Scotia College and Johnson
C. Smith University, and have scheduled visits to Stillman College and Mary
Holmes College Nov. 6-7.

    In June, the General Assembly Council (GAC) approved a $200,000 advance
to Knoxville College in order to ensure Hatton's salary requirements.
Newbern-Williams said Knoxville College will pay the money back in
installments over the next four to five years. The GAC also agreed to
borrow $1.5 million to aid the financially ailing Barber-Scotia College in
Concord, N.C.

     Patricia G. (Pat) Brown, moderator of the 209th General Assembly
(1997), Kearns and Newbern-Williams will tour Knoxville College Aug. 28-29.
During their visit, they'll also meet with the Rev. Lewis W. Fowler Jr.,
executive presbyter of East Tennessee Presbytery, and the Rev. J. Harold
Jackson, synod executive of the Synod of Living Waters. Fowler said Hatton
will meet with the moderator, Jackson, Kearns, Newbern-Williams and other
church officials Aug. 29 to discuss how the relationship between the
college, presbytery and synod can be strengthened.

    Although the stakes are high at Knoxville College, many say there is
one significant factor that could make the difference as Hatton attacks the
institution's problems -- her board is behind her. Knoxville College has a
history of conflict between presidents and board members, but Hatton was
unanimously selected by the board on the first ballot.

    "We really feel like this is our last chance," Wood said. "If we don't
make it now, then we're really going to be out of business."

    Fall enrollment applications for Knoxville College must be made no
later than Sept. 1. For more details, contact the college admissions office
at 1-800-743-5669 or (423) 524-6551.

    Knoxville College was founded in 1875 by what was then the United
Presbyterian Church of North America.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>