From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Formula of Agreement Passes ELCA Assembly

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Aug 1997 18:32:29

20-August-1997
97326

    Formula of Agreement Passes ELCA Assembly,
    Concordat With Episcopal Church Fails

    by Alexa Smith

PHILADELPHIA--Any joy about passage of an agreement opening the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to "full communion" with three Reformed
denominations -- including the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) -- was
diminished in ecumenical circles here by the demise of a similar proposal
between the ELCA and the Episcopal Church in the United States.

    The Reformed agreement between the ELCA, the PC(USA), the Reformed
Church in America (RCA) and the United Church of Christ (UCC) -- called A
Formula of Agreement -- was easily passed by 81 percent of the 1,035 voting
members at the ELCA Churchwide Assembly.  A similar agreement with the
Episcopal Church -- known as the Concordat -- fell six votes short of the
necessary two-thirds majority in what appeared to be a rejection of  the
"historic episcopate" (in which the bishop's authority to ordain is traced
directly back to the early church and is granted for a lifetime).

    Despite moves to reconsider the Concordat vote the next day, members
solidly voted not to do so, adopting instead resolutions that commit the
ELCA to more teaching and dialogue about possible avenues for full
communion with the Episcopal Church in 1999.

    Amendments to ecumenical statements to incorporate the Formula's
provisions within the PC(USA) constitution are now under consideration by
the denomination's presbyteries.  Passage by a majority of the presbyteries
would be the last step in this four-way agreement to officially bring the
ELCA into a relationship with the already related Reformed churches. Such
ties permit clergy interchangeability and shared communion. The agreement
also dispenses with 16th-century condemnations of Calvinist doctrine by the
early Lutheran church.

     "The emotional, spiritual response to the Reformed vote was muted by
the Episcopal vote.  The celebration that ought to have happened here
probably will not happen, regrettably," said the Rev. Eugene Turner, the
Office of the General Assembly's ecumenical officer, just after the voting.

    "But the joy is," he continued, "we've established full communion with
the ELCA. ... And that's a major accomplishment in the ecumenical search
for Christian unity."

    That kind of mollified stance was offered, too, by the Rev. George
Anderson, the ELCA's presiding bishop, who moderated the nearly five-day
debate on the two ecumenical agreements.  Citing high emotion among the 66
percent of the voting members whose hope for deeper ties with the Episcopal
church died by six votes, he told reporters, "Many people, including me,
had great hopes that we could accomplish [the Reformed and Episcopal
agreements] in this same meeting at the same time.  That would be a great
symbol. ...

    "But we have taken an historic step to heal one of the breaches ...
between the Lutheran tradition and the Calvinist," he said.

    Official conversations to repair that nearly 450-year breach have been
under way for 32 years between representatives of the Reformed and Lutheran
churches in the United States, culminating -- despite a failed attempt at
more unity in 1984 -- in the paper "A Common Calling," a study of the
doctrinal differences between the Lutheran and Reformed traditions,
including the presence of Christ in the Lord's Supper, Christology,
predestination and the centuries-old condemnations.  But the paper proposes
that these differences are the basis for ongoing theological work, not
division -- what the document calls "mutual affirmation and admonition."

    "We're giving up the polemic," said Pacific Lutheran Seminary president
Timothy F. Lull, co- editor of  "A Common Calling" and a member of the
dialogue team.  "We're saying we've not been fair to each other in the past
 ... [and that] it is time not to be talking about each other's positions
but [to be] in conversation with each other."

    That line of thought was reflected in the floor debate in which
proponents of the Reformed agreement, such as Pastor Paul Hanson of
Brookings, S.D., insisted that churches born in the Reformation have been
separated too long. "We understand our differences.  But even so, we can
walk forward together. ...  We are extending our hands in partnership with
other Reformed churches. ... We're saying, `We will walk with you, pray
with you, be at table with you.'

    "And we cannot bypass this in hopes of a better document along the
way," he said, answering calls to dabble with the document's language,
which already had been approved by the other churches.  "It is appropriate
to move forward."

    That stance was countered by uneasiness among some Lutherans about how
Calvinist Christians understand the elements at the Lord's Table, exactly
how Christ is present.   There was also worry about the tendency in
Reformed churches to focus on the need for continual reformation of the
church, as Lutherans expressed more comfort with the 16th-century creeds as
sufficient to regulate the church's life.  Anxiety was expressed, too,
about the congregational nature of UCC governance -- and about how possible
it is to hold individual congregations accountable to the Formula of
Agreement.

      Opposition to the "historic episcopate" as inherently un-Lutheran --
a protocol mandated within the Concordat to ordain even Lutheran pastors --
was more visceral, as was consideration of ordination to three offices.
For despite the existence of 65 bishops within the U.S. Lutheran church,
the office of pastor is the denomination's only ordainable ministry.
Further, Lutheran pastors are charged with the responsibility of ordaining
other pastors.

    Stressing that decades of dialogue have gone into the Concordat -- and
the fact that bishops  have been slowly introduced into the life of the
U.S. Lutheran church during the past 25 years -- the denomination's
director of ecumenical affairs, the Rev. Daniel Martensen, said Lutherans
will be struggling with "serious divisions" within the ELCA that emerged in
this Episcopal-Lutheran debate.

    Coalitions within the ELCA disagree about ecumenical priorities.  Some
advocate heavily for more outreach to the Roman Catholic and Orthodox
churches, while others distrust such a move, expressing uneasiness with any
hierarchical structure that may be perceived as shifting power from the
congregation.

      He said the ELCA's ecumenical endeavors were deliberately moving
along multiple fronts to draw the new denomination into agreements that
were not bound to one tradition and that there was a strong move among some
at this Churchwide Assembly to approve both the Reformed and Episcopal
agreements or neither.  "I feel sadness," said Martensen, "that our church,
the ELCA, at the turn of the millennium, cannot demonstrate the capability
of moving from decades of dialogue and talk to concrete action."

    Concordat co-chair the Rt. Rev. Edward Jones of the Episcopal Church
told reporters he was "disappointed" and "surprised" by the vote, since
Episcopalians had met in this same Philadelphia convention hall last month
to approve the Concordat by a 99 percent margin.

    "It's premature to say it is all over.  It's premature to dismiss
bilateral dialogue," he said, adding that he was unclear, however, how this
vote would affect the Consultation on Church Union (COCU), a proposal by
nine churches -- including the Episcopal Church -- to enter into some
aspects of full communion with each other.

    COCU's progress has already been hampered by bishop language.  Further
progress was stalled in COCU last year when PC(USA) presbyteries rejected
the word "bishop" for an administrative office in the proposed structure,
whether the office was occupied by one individual or by a committee.

    Looking back on past rejection of the Lutheran-Reformed agreement, RCA
associate for ecumenical relations the Rev. Douglas Fromm said that
weaknesses in ecumenical documents often need readdressing.  Speaking both
to reporters and to his ecumenical colleagues -- Lutheran, Episcopal and
Reformed -- at the press conference, he reminded those present that
Reformed representatives felt in 1984, when an earlier agreement was
rejected by the Lutheran church, the sadness Lutheran and Episcopal
ecumenical proponents feel now.

    "It's a very mixed moment [for Reformed representatives]," said Fromm.

    The Rev. John Thomas, the UCC's ecumenical officer,  agreed.  "We're
feeling combined gratitude and grief, a sense of joy and sorrow," he said.

    The Churchwide Assembly for the 5.2 million-member ELCA was under way
Aug. 14-20.  At press time, the Assembly was considering a third ecumenical
document insisting that the different understandings of justification -- or
worthiness of salvation -- held by the Lutherans and the Roman Catholic
Church are not church dividing.  Justification was the central issue in the
split between reformer Martin Luther and the Roman Catholic Church.  The
document is under consideration now by the Vatican and the 122 member
communities of the Lutheran World Federation, which is headquartered in
Geneva.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>