From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWF President Gottfried Brakemeier says churches should keep the faith

From David Pomeroy <wfn@igc.apc.org>
Date Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:53:23 -0700 (PDT)

Brakemeier says churches should keep the faith
LWF president reports to council

HONG KONG, July 25, 1997 (lwi) - Faith has lost its value in society, Dr.
Gottfried Brakemeier, Lutheran World Federation (LWF) president, said in
his last address to the LWF Council. The Council met July 5 and 6, prior to
the Assembly where its successor members were elected.

"The church has to do with faith, but this should not mean a dismissal of
diaconal work," he said. "Faith has lost in value - much to the detriment
of society. The LWF will have to protest against this," he said.

"To protest is not only to be against something. Therefore, protest is not
only necessary in ethical areas, but also in questions of faith," he added
in answer to a question.

"What is the specific significance of a church institution in our time? It
is not just the LWF that is faced with this question," Brakemeier said.
"What is at stake is the relevance of the church and its activities. If the
church is important, the LWF is too," he said.

To forget mission is one of the biggest mistakes in our times," he said.

Lutheran Church in Liberia, said that too often the church stresses what
society is stressing. "Real witness of the Word is lacking," he said. When
churches ask the LWF for help in proclaiming the Word, "we are told, we
can't help you with that, but we can help you with development," he said.
But, "The word is more important for most of us."

Bishop Manas Buthelezei, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Southern Africa,
said that development should not be seen as "an alternative to bold and
unashamed proclamation of the Gospel."

Bishop Karsten Nissen of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark said
that the LWF should spend more time and more resources for theological
reflection. He also asked the