From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hong Kong leader Tung Chee-hwa pledges religious freedom at LWF Assembly

From David Pomeroy <wfn@igc.apc.org>
Date Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:24:57 -0700 (PDT)

LWF

Hong Kong leader pledges religious freedom
Tung Chee-hwa greets LWF Assembly

HONG KONG, July 25, 1997 (lwi) - Making his first major declaration on
religious liberty, Tung Chee-hwa, Hong Kong's chief executive, assured
delegates to the Lutheran World Federation Assembly that "my government
will preserve freedom of religion."

In his greetings to the Assembly July 9, Tung spoke of the pride and
confidence of Hong Kong as it celebrated its reunification with China on
July 1. "For the first time in our history, Hong Kong people took on the
solemn responsibility of managing our own affairs," he said.

Interrupted six times by applause, Tung told the Assembly that "the
property rights of religious organizations will be protected and that
religious organizations may continue to run seminaries, other schools,
hospitals and welfare institutions and to provide other social services. In
addition, religious organizations and believers in the Hong Kong Special
Administrative Region may maintain and develop their relations with
religious organizations and believers elsewhere."

Tung congratulated the LWF on its 50th anniversary and said that he was
very pleased that the LWF was holding its assembly in Hong Kong at this
time because it demonstrated the LWF's confidence in the future of Hong
Kong.

The text of his remarks follows.

Dr. Brakemeier, Dr. Noko, delegates, guests, ladies and gentlemen,
Let me begin by welcoming you personally to Hong Kong as you commence your
Ninth Assembly. I understand this year also marks the 50th anniversary of
the Lutheran World Federation, and I congratulate you on achieving this
milestone.

We in Hong Kong have entered a new era just over a week ago. On July 1,
after 156 years of separation, Hong Kong celebrated joyfully its
reunification with China. The historic event filled Hong Kong people with
pride and confidence. Pride, because for the first time in our history,
Hong Kong people took on the solemn responsibility of managing our own
affairs. Confidence, because we know that under the "one country, two
systems" concept Hong Kong will be even better tomorrow. Indeed the smooth
and peaceful handover of the territory represents a new testament to the
vision and ingenuity of the architects of the "one country, two systems"
concept.

Under the Basic Law, which provides the constitutional framework for the
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), the Central People's
Government of the People's Republic of China has granted Hong Kong a high
degree of autonomy and has guaranteed the continuation of its previous
systems and way of life for many years to come. We, the people of Hong
Kong, value this empowerment very deeply, and we are determined to
discharge our responsibilities earnestly and prudently.

The HKSAR Government will preserve the existing freedoms and lifestyle, and
ensure that the people of Hong Kong will continue to enjoy the freedoms of
speech, assembly, association, the press and other freedoms guaranteed by
the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. One of the
important freedoms that my Government will preserve is, of course, the
freedom of religion. Article 141 of the Basic Law clearly stipulates that
the HKSAR Government shall not restrict the freedom of religious belief,
interfere in the internal affairs of religious organizations or restrict
religious activities which do not contravene the laws of Hong Kong. The
property rights and interests of religious organizations shall be
maintained and protected. The same Article also provides that religious
organizations may, according o their previous practice, continue to run
seminaries and other schools, hospitals and welfare institutions and to
provide other social services. Religious organizations and believers in the
HKSAR may maintain and develop their relations with religious organizations
and believers elsewhere.

I am very pleased that the Lutheran World Federation has decided to hold
its Ninth Assembly in Hong Kong. It demonstrated eloquently your full
confidence in the future of Hong Kong. And I would like to extend to all of
you my warmest wishes and congratulations for a very fruitful and
successful conference.