From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWF Assembly in Hong Kong opened with sound of Chinese gong

From WFN <wfn@igc.apc.org>
Date Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:53:01 -0700 (PDT)

Assembly opens with Eucharist
Asia challenges churches to 'reap the harvest'

HONG KONG, July 25, 1997 (lwi) - The Ninth Assembly of the Lutheran World
Federation (LWF) started with a Chinese gong and the solemn music of a
Chinese band at the opening Eucharist. About 1,000 people took part in the
service. LWF President Gottfried Brakemeier officially opened the Assembly
at the service.

The Rev. Josephine Tso Shui-Wan, president of the Evan-gelical Lutheran
Church of Hong Kong, preaching on the Assembly theme "In Christ: Called to
Witness," challenged the LWF as it began its first Assembly in Asia. "In
this great continent with over half of the world's population, and some of
the greatest obstacles to the Gospel, stands the smallest Christian
church," she said. "It is both a great challenge and a great opportunity to
be in the midst of such a situation."

Speaking on the parable of the vine and its branches, she said, "As we are
one body in Christ...as we are branches together in the same vine, let us
share together in meeting the challenges that remain before us in God's
mission. Let us respond together as a world Lutheran body to the call God
has given to us to reap the harvest in the fields of Asia."

She pointed out that as the LWF celebrates its 50th Anniversary it is time
to look back and count the fruits that have been borne and "to give thanks
to and to honor those who have labored in its service. But we must also
give glory to God from whom all the fruits come, as we live and serve
Christ," Tso said.

Bishop Manas Buthelezi of the Lutheran Church of Southern Africa presided
at the service. The Rev. Juanita Fagerholm-Urch of Finland was assisting
minister. Highlights in the service included the thundering voice of Mark
Bangert of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America singing "O Jora Diya,
Hallelujah," the choreography of young people from the Korean Church of
Hong Kong; the lighting the Indian oil lamp "Kuthuvillaku," a gift of the
United Evangelical Lutheran Churches in India to the LWF at its Jubilee,
and prayers led by five representatives from five continents.