From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Youth present vision for an inclusive church

From WFN <wfn@igc.apc.org>
Date Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:53:02 -0700 (PDT)

Youth present vision for an inclusive church
Young people use drama, music in presentation

HONG KONG July 25, 1997 (lwi) - "We have a vision" of a church where "there
are people, young and old, of different races, speaking different
languages, the weak and the strong, the rich and the poor, Christians of
different confessions, people of different faiths," youth told the Assembly
of the Lutheran World Federation..

In their presentation, "The LWF 2000 and beyond," they used drama, dance,
poetry, music and meditation to help the Assembly experience some of their
feelings in addition to listening to the words of their vision. The youth
spoke of their hope for a church that is "a safe place and an inclusive
church." They hope for a church "which is not divided on regional, racial,
gender and economical basis but united in Christ as his body."

Youth attending the Assembly as delegates and stewards met in Bangkok,
Thailand, June 28 - July 5, at a Pre-Assembly Youth Conference under the
theme "Be Not Ashamed: Christ Has Set Us Free." At the Conference they
studied a variety of issues, got to know one another and prepared their
report to the Assembly.

"Youth today feel a great sense of disillusionment and indifference," they
said in a message from the Pre-Assembly Conference. "Youth feel powerless
and unable to engage in active struggle for change. However, the words
'Christ has set us fee' give us hope for the future."

In their vision for an inclusive church, the youth said they look forward
to every LWF-member church ordaining women to the ministry of Word and
Sacrament. "We also dream of a future when our churches will embrace both
feminist theology and liberation theology and will no longer be limited to
a traditional male-oriented interpretation of theology."

In their Pre-Assembly message, the youth were critical of worship in the
Lutheran church, "We think that the dominant Lutheran form of worship,
which is traditionally Western, is old-fashioned and does not really suit
contemporary youth of all cultures." In their vision for the future,
"Modern instruments, dancing, new songs in a new style, and culturally
sensitive and culturally appropriate liturgies will reshape our praise,
worship and thanks to God!"

The youth also expressed concern for divisions within the church and spoke
of how they want to "meet the other eye-to-eye, heart-to-heart to spread
together the message of love throughout the world so that we will see our
different traditions and understandings as a source of richness and
strength."

"Youth are the source of renewal of the church and society as a whole," Dr.
Ishmael Noko, General Secretary of the LWF, said. He said that it is
important for the LWF to invest in youth for the sake of the church.