From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Double Your Dollars

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 11 Sep 1997 16:04:48

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (313
notes).

Note 309 by UMNS on Sept. 11, 1997 at 15:57 Eastern (2361 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Green                              497(10-71B){309}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470            Sept. 11, 1997

Foundation doubles scholarships
for United Methodist students.

     NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- Glen Habbershaw, a junior
international business major at Oklahoma City University, is one
of 221 students to receive $2,000 scholarships in the United
Methodist Foundation for Christian Higher Education's "Double Your
Dollars for Scholars" program.
     The scholarship program, launched last January, provides
$1,000 in matching funds to the first 100 United Methodist
churches that raise $1,000 for a member of their congregation
enrolled or planning to enroll in a United Methodist-related
college, university or seminary.
     An affiliate of the churchwide Board of Higher Education, the
32-year old foundation provides financial assistance to the
denomination's students and institutions of higher education.
     According to foundation president George Miller, 429 churches
responded to the program and the foundation funded 221
scholarships. "We elected to exceed our initial $100,000 budget
because of the tremendous response to the program," Miller said.
     Receiving this scholarship "means I have a chance at a bright
future," said Habbershaw, a member of First United Methodist
Church, Fairview, Okla.  "I am very thankful for the support I am
receiving from United Methodists and for their interest in future
generations."
     Glenace Habbershaw, Glen's mother, said, "I am extremely
thankful for the encouragement that it gives students to know that
the United Methodist Church as whole is interested in their
education."
     Ms. Habbershaw, a single parent, said she has worked a full-
time job and a part-time job to support the family. She said that
Glen also has worked since he was 10 years old to make a
contribution.
     Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City, Mo., with 22
students receiving scholarships has the most of any United
Methodist-related school. Students at 68 United Methodist-related
schools, colleges, universities and seminaries were awarded
grants.
                              #  #  #