From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Wesleyan Millennium Event Planned

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 12 Sep 1997 16:49:28

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (316
notes).

Note 315 by UMNS on Sept. 12, 1997 at 16:25 Eastern (4182 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                 503(10-21-30-71B){315}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470            Sept. 12, 1997

NOTE: Photo available with this story.

Methodists, Wesleyans in North America planning
millennium event for late 1999 in Houston

     HOUSTON (UMNS) -- Plans for an event late in 1999 to
celebrate the 2000th anniversary of the birth of Jesus were
announced here Sept. 11 by leaders of the North American Section
of the World Methodist Council.
     Sponsoring the celebration in Houston Nov. 18-21, 1999, will
be nine denominations, representing 15 million members in Canada,
the United States and Mexico, who trace their roots back to the
Wesleyan movement that began in 18th century England.
     More than 2,000 spiritual descendants of the Wesleys are
expected at the event. In addition, a Saturday night public event
is being planned for 15,000 people from the immediate area.
     An outdoor candlelight service is planned to proclaim Jesus
the "Light of the World."  While details are yet to be worked out,
planners said they hope to bring to Houston for the service a
candle, and possibly a small child from a Christian family in
Bethlehem.
     "There's lots of talk about the approaching end of the
millennium but we want to be sure people know it has to do with
the birth of Jesus," said the Rev. Eddie Fox during a press
conference at First United Methodist Church.  Fox, of Nashville,
Tenn., is director of world evangelism for the World Methodist
Council.
     Staff executive of the council, the Rev. Joe Hale of Lake
Junaluska, N.C., said the event will signal a year-long
celebration of Jesus' birth leading up to the beginning of the
year 2,000.  Other regions of the world are expected to hold
similar events.
     "It is important that all Christians, not just Methodists,
stand together and affirm that Jesus Christ is the hope for the
new millennium," Hale said.  "Christian groups have their
differences but I believe we can stand together and make this
proclamation."
     Theme for the Houston event will be "Celebrating Christ
Jesus: the Hope of the Dawning Millennium."  A sub-theme will be
the words of John Wesley who described the purpose of the
Methodist movement to "reform the nation, particularly the church
and to spread Scriptural holiness over the land."
     The sponsoring denominations are: the United Methodist
Church, United Church of Canada, Methodist Church of Mexico,
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Free Methodist Church, Church of the
Nazarene, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Christian Methodist
Episcopal Church and the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church.
     The denominations represent 15 million members and nearly
twice that many constituents. Worldwide, Wesleyans represent 60
million members in 107 countries.
     Fox pointed out that while membership is on the decline in
some North American Methodist denominations it has grown about one
million a year worldwide for the past five years.
     Bishop Nathaniel Linsey, senior bishop of the Christian
Methodist Episcopal Church, said the Houston event will focus on
the future.  "We hope to involve our people in scriptures, prayer
and dialogue so that we go out with a renewed commitment to deal
with issues in the world such as racism," he said.
     According to Fox, the public event will be planned to appeal
especially to young people.  "We recognize they will be the church
in the new millennium," he said. A central component of the entire
meeting will be music, for which Methodists have been known for
more than 250 years.
     President of the World Methodist Council, which will be
holding its executive committee meeting in Rome Sept. 21-27, is
Frances M. Alguire, a United Methodist from New Buffalo, Mich.
President of the North American Section of the council, who
presided over the planning meeting here Sept 11, is United
Methodist Bishop Neil L. Irons, Harrisburg, Pa.
                              #  #  #

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.