From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Same-sex Covenant Ceremony Planned

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 12 Sep 1997 16:49:32

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (316
notes).

Note 316 by UMNS on Sept. 12, 1997 at 16:26 Eastern (7825 characters).

 Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency
of the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn.,
New York, and Washington.

 CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                504(10-21-28-71B){316}
          Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470           Sept. 12, 1997

 Covenanting ceremony for same sex partners
 to be held at First United Methodist Church in Omaha

 by Barbara Nissen*

      OMAHA, Neb. (UMNS) -- The senior pastor of one of the
 largest churches here has announced he is planning to conduct a
 covenanting ceremony in the church for two lesbian members during
 the week of Sept. 14.
      "I am doing this as part of my understanding of the Church,
 of Jesus, and what all people need to do," said the Rev. Jimmy
 Creech, pastor of First United Methodist Church at 7020 Cass
 Street here.  "I cannot imagine as a pastor saying 'no' to two
 people who say they want to make a commitment to each other in
 the context of their faith."
      Addressing what it means to be the church, he said, "For me,
 gay or lesbian people who are saying, 'we have a right to be
 here,' are challenging us to a broader and deeper understanding
 of what it means to be the church ... the body of Jesus Christ
 in ministry to all people."
      In light of the United Methodist official stand that the
 practice of homosexuality is "incompatible with Christian
 teaching," the proposed action has sparked considerable debate
 and dialogue within and outside the First Church congregation.
      The 1996 General Conference, top legislative body of the
 denomination, added to Social Principles of the church a
 statement saying, "Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions
 shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be
 conducted in churches."
      The General Conference is the only body that can speak
 officially for the denomination but whether or not the Social
 Principles have the status of church law has not been determined.
      While no official action was taken by the First Church
 congregation or boards, Creech said the ceremony is part of the
 1,900-member church's dynamic process of coming to terms with
 what it means to be in ministry with people who are gay and
 lesbian.  Those discussions also have a broader context, he said.
      Performing the rite is not without consequence. In a formal
 statement, Nebraska Area Bishop Joel N. Mart!nez said he
 counseled Creech that "to proceed with the ceremony would place
 him in noncompliance with the United Methodist Discipline
 and in conflict with previous church rulings."
      Mart!nez, who is currently out of the country, said in the
 written statement that should Creech proceed with the ceremony,
 "he could anticipate a written complaint against him in
 accordance with Para. 358 of the church's Book of Discipline."
      That paragraph states that a complaint can be filed about
 the "performance or character of a clergy person ... claiming
 misconduct or unsatisfactory performance of ministerial duties."
 Such a complaint would begin a process of review as described
 elsewhere in the Discipline (Para. 358).
     Creech and the other two pastors serving the church, the
 Revs. Susan Mullins and Donald Bredthauer, signed in February the
 "In All Things Charity" document, a statement of conscience
 opposing what it considers United Methodist discrimination
against
 gay men and lesbians.
      Mullins pointed out that Creech does not stand alone as a
 "solo renegade," that the staff is in solidarity with him.
      "To be in ministry with all persons means blessing people at
 all points in their lives," Mullins said. "I see our decision as
 pastors as a witness to the injustice of our denomination's
 inconsistency in proclaiming God's love for all persons."
      The Discipline prohibits the church from ordaining
 or appointing "self-avowed practicing homosexuals." On the other
 hand it affirms "God's grace is available to all," declares
 "homosexual persons no less than heterosexual persons are
 individuals of sacred worth," and commits the church "to be in
 ministry for and with all persons."
      Creech, who was appointed to First Church in 1996, said he
 believes that performing the ceremony for the lesbian couple is
 consistent with the church's journey in defining itself.
      In 1995 committees and leaders of the church endorsed a
 conscious effort to be an inclusive body of faith, according to
 Creech. A 1995 statement of purpose declared the church "to be
 the Body of Christ welcoming and celebrating the diversity of
 God's children in the Omaha Community."
      In 1996, the church conference endorsed a vision focus even
 more intentionally inclusive, stating: "We are the body of
 Christ. As such,we welcome and celebrate the diversity of God's
 children; we are a healing community where all people can seek to
 become whole persons in Christ ... "
      Last summer the vision became more specific. "A conscious
 statement of what being inclusive means by adding to it [the
 vision statement] 'regardless of sexual orientation, marital
 status, financial status,' all that, was another incremental
 step," Creech said.
      Part of the church's movement, he said, was his approval by
 the Staff-Parish Relations Committee, who knew he was an activist
 for gay and lesbian rights in his home state of North Carolina.
 His district superintendent agrees.
      It is a "total picture for the church," not just about gay
 and lesbian ministry, according to Omaha District Superintendent
 Susan P. Davies. "That's the point. Not just that they're moving
 toward becoming a gay and lesbian church ... they're moving
 toward becoming an open and accepting church. That's what those
 steps are all about," she said in an interview.
      Creech was active in gay men and lesbian rights as pastor of
 the 1,000-member Fairmont United Methodist Church in Raleigh,
 N.C., for the three years he served there. In 1990 the church's
 Staff Parish Relations Committee asked that he not be reappointed
 because of the loss of financial commitment to the church due to
 his public activities.
      Now in Omaha, Creech feels he is part of First United
 Methodist Church's direction that was already in place when he
 was appointed to the position.
      Not all of the congregation agree with Creech nor the
 direction the church is going. It has been reported to Creech
 that members have been meeting in homes to discuss ousting him.
      He admits that members have left and others have withdrawn
 their financial support.
      On the other hand, "church lay leaders have also been very
 supportive," he said. The chairpersons of the church's
 administrative council and the board of trustees have publicly
 expressed their support.
      "When 'All Things In Charity' was signed by the three of us,
 we went to the Staff Parish Relations Committee and told them,
 and told them the significance of it," Creech said. "I went then
 to the trustees, also, because it had to do with property and to
 let them know the implications and what responsibilities we as
 pastors have as far as church property and what worship services
 go on."
      Despite the prospect of a complaint being filed against him,
 Creech is determined to perform the ceremony.  "My agreeing to
 celebrate with these two persons their commitment to each other
 has to do with my understanding,"  Creech said. "This
 is something they are doing as part of their relationship, not to
 be in the public eye, which I think underscores the intimacy and
 the spiritual nature of the ceremony,"  he said.
                                  #  #  #

      * Nissen is the director of communications for the Nebraska
 Annual Conference.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.