From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NAIC Fights to Use Cross and Flame

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 16 Sep 1997 16:31:56

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (328
notes).

Note 326 by UMNS on Sept. 16, 1997 at 16:40 Eastern (4038 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT:  Ralph E. Baker                       514(10-34-71B){326}
          Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470           Sept. 16, 1997

Native American International Caucus fights
for right to use cross and flame insigne

by Ginny Underwood*

     Seattle (UMNS) -- Several members of the Native American
International Caucus (NAIC) are outraged at a recent letter from
the General Council of Finance and Administration (GCFA) asking
the United Methodist advocacy group to "cease and desist" from
using the cross and flame symbol, which is a trademark belonging
to the denomination.
     In his address to NAIC at its annual meeting here, the Rev.
Alvin Deer, executive director, read the GCFA memo asking for
guidance in his response.  "They're saying that the NAIC is not an
official entity of this church. That's in spite of the fact that
all members of the caucus are United Methodist, belonging to
local United Methodist churches."
     According to officials at GCFA, the trademark is restricted
only to official bodies of the denomination as designated in the
Book of Discipline.  NAIC along with the other ethnic caucuses are
not recognized as official bodies of the United Methodist Church.
     "It's like they're telling us we can't use drums," said Eric
Young, representative from Florida Native American ministries.
"These are symbols that we identify with, that are important to us
as United Methodists and Native Americans."
     The crackdown on the misuse of the cross and flame symbol
started a year ago, following the reassignment of that
responsibility by General Conference.  GCFA officials say they're
trying to protect the integrity of the United Methodist trademark.
     "Even if organizations are made up entirely of United
Methodists, the membership is not enough to make it an official
agency," said David Ullrich, GCFA associate general counsel.  "We
are sympathetic to the requests of United Methodist-related
groups, however the GCFA must follow the directives of the
Discipline and cannot pick and choose which unofficial United
Methodist-related organizations are allowed to use the cross and
flame."
     "My family has been a part of this church for some 150
years," said Nellie Long, a representative from the Oklahoma
Indian Missionary Conference.  "And now, because I associate under
the umbrella of NAIC, I can't identify with the cross and flame,
its terrible."
     GCFA officials have recommended that non-official groups
start from scratch and design new logos to represent their
organizations.
     This recommendation has been noted by NAIC, but further
negotiations are planned.  The NAIC is sending a letter asking
GCFA's permission to lease the cross and flame symbol and
legislation is being discussed to gain official recognition by
General Conference.
     "Again, we are being victimized by well-intentions," said
Deer.  "Were not going to harm the cross and flame. We represent
it."
     In other NAIC actions, members approved the theme for the
1998 Family Camp, "Families Weaving Dreams."  The week-long camp
will focus on building communication and support between family
members.  It is tentatively scheduled for July 17-21, 1998, at
White Mountain Apache Reservation in White Mountain, Ariz.
     Members discussed actions for pressing issues facing Native
Americans in each region of the United States.  NAIC voted to
support the Houma Indians in their quest to become federally
recognized.
     Concerns were expressed about the number of Native American
pastors in the Pacific Northwest conference --  currently only one
in the region.  Members also discussed the need for a Native
American Bishop.
                              #  #  #

     * Underwood is director of the Native American communications
office of United Methodist Communications in Nashville, Tenn.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.