From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lowery speaks to issues

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 18 Sep 1997 09:33:46

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (331
notes).

Note 331 by UMNS on Sept. 18, 1997 at 10:29 Eastern (3762 characters).

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally		519(10-21-28-31-71B){331}
    		Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470     Sept. 17, 1997

NOTE:  This may be a sidebar to UMNS Feature #518 {330}.

Some of Lowery's thoughts
on various issues

	Here are some of Lowery's thoughts on various issues:

* non violence -- "While we hoped people would embrace it as a way of life ...
most simply embraced it as a tactic because that was the nature of the
leadership, the nature of the struggle ... We saw no possible path to victory
through violence ... It would have played into the hands of our enemies.  They
would have liked nothing better than a justifiable reason to shoot us down."

* political power and the black church  --  "We have 10,000-12,000 black
elected officials across the country, including more than 300 mayors ... The
black church is still the place where politicians go when they want to get
elected.  Where the church has failed is to hold them accountable.  Now we're
beginning to understand we've got to elect sensitive, progressive, committed
politicians whose character is more important than color."

* economic justice -- "We have not been able to translate political power
proportionately into economic power.  The medium income of African Americans
is still around 60 percent [of white America].  While one out of five children
live in poverty in this country, one-half of black children live in poverty
and one out of three black families.

* capital punishment -- "There's no redemptive value in the death penalty.
It's not only morally wrong, it's racially administered.  Capital punishment
is for those who have no capital; very seldom do you see rich people
executed."

* violence in society -- "We're worlds more violent [than during the Civil
Rights era] ... We think more jails, police, power are the answer ... [but] we
have to deal with the causes rather than the effect.  We've ignored the
causes: poverty, mental illness, twisted, perverted values, and a very bad
example by the government in the death penalty and war.  We affirm violence as
an acceptable means of resolving conflicts and disputes."

* Integrated churches -- When we think of integrated churches we think of
blacks joining white churches.  It should be a two-way street ... White people
have a problem accepting black folks in charge.  They love to come hear us
preach and they love to hear us sing, but they don't join a predominantly
black church because blacks are in charge."

* abortion -- "We [the SCLC] are mostly anti-abortion but totally freedom of
choice ... my problem with them [radical anti-abortionists] is they're
violent.  In the Civil Rights Movement, we did not in any way inflict harm
upon property nor upon persons nor did we blow up anything.  If any harm
resulted, it was an accident and not our intent."

* homosexuality -- "There are similarities between the gay rights movement and
the Civil Rights Movement in terms of civil rights and human rights.  I
totally support human rights; nobody ought to be discriminated against because
of their sexual orientation ... I am convinced the basic theological question
is whether they have a choice ... Their argument is if God made them
homosexual, then they don't have any choice, and I agree with that.  It's the
same as being born black or brown or white."

* same-sex covenant ceremonies -- "I consider myself to be as fair as I can be
and yet I cannot perform the ceremony.  I won't condemn their consensual
relationship, but ... I hold marriage as between a man and a woman.  A
relationship is another thing.  It's a very complex and tough issue."

#  #  #
	* Smith is News Director of the Communications Council of Georgia.

LOWERY THOUGHTS -- 2

-MORE-

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.