From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Corrigendum to POV press release

From Sheila MESA <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date 02 Sep 1997 01:50:32

World Council of Churches
Press Release
For Immediate Use

CORRIGENDUM

Re. our press release dated 1 September 1997 DON'T BACK VIOLENCE,
WCC GENERAL SECRETARY TELLS CHURCHES

Paragraph nine: spelling of name of keynote speaker is Rev Jeffrey
Brown and he is from  Boston (NOT Chicago).

Also, please add the following as the penultimate paragraph of the
release:

Rubem Cesar Fernandez from Rio de Janeiro invited the world to stand
still and be silent for 3 minutes in May 1999 "to stop and think and give
peace a chance".  Commenting later on the launch event, Salpy Eskidjian,
coordinator of the Programme to Overcome Violence said, "I was greatly
impressed that the South African churches used the occasion to
celebrate so vibrantly this call against violence and for peace".

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 330, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Press and Information Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51