From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC Statement on the Death of Mother Teresa

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 05 Sep 1997 18:23:11

News From the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches
website: http://www.ufmcc.com

A Public Statement
by the Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
On the Occasion of the Death
of Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mother Teresa
September 5, 1997

Los Angeles -- On behalf of the 42,000 members of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches, I express our profound sense of loss at the
death of Mother Teresa.

Mother Teresa will be remembered as one of the truly outstanding leaders in
the history of the Christian Church. Her selfless dedication to the poor, the
sick and the dying reflected the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Her commitment to persons with AIDS fostered worldwide compassion and
understanding, and helped to focus God's love and hope on those whose lives
were touched by the HIV and AIDS pandemic.

Perhaps Mother Teresa's most lasting contribution to our world will be a
reminder that each of us is called to love others as God loves:
unconditionally.  As Jesus taught us, God's unconditional love for all people
is the most life-changing, transformative power in our universe.

Today, I also call upon all people of goodwill to remember the more than 3000
nuns who continue the work and ministry of Mother Teresa through the
Missionaries of Charity.

In life, Mother Teresa served as a source of spiritual inspiration to her
world.  May her death serve as a call for each of us to carry on her life and
ministry of unconditional love to all God's people.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor