From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Domestic Violence Resources Published

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 06 Sep 1997 13:31:02

3-September-1997
97341

    New Domestic Violence Resources Published;
    Training Events on Prevention Scheduled

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month in the United
States.  In preparation for its observance, the Presbyterian Church's
Societal Violence Initiative Team (SVIT) has commissioned a new resource,
"Striking Terror No More."

    In addition, the SVIT has planned two training events -- in February
and March 1998 -- to help church leaders more effectively confront domestic
violence.

    The new resource, edited by Beth Basham, senior editor for the
Curriculum Publishing Program Area in the Congregational Ministries
Division, and Sara Lisherness, associate in the Presbyterian Peacemaking
Program, addresses child, date, spouse and elder abuse in the church and
society.

    "We are grateful to Beth, Sara and the many contributors for their
sensitive, faith-based response to the violence that surrounds us," said
SVIT member Jinny Miller.  "We hope the resource will be helpful to
congregations as they confront the violence that touches the very hearts of
many who sit in our pews every Sunday."

    In the Introduction to "Striking Terror No More," the Rev. Thelma
Burgonio-Watson, a member of SVIT, wrote, "Churches can be a resource to
those who are the victims or the perpetrators of violence.  This study
guide faithfully and clearly outlines how clergy and laity can learn the
nature and causes of violence in families and use the resources of our
tradition appropriately to provide safety for victims, to stop the abuse by
calling perpetrators to account, to restore relationships if possible and,
if not, to mourn the loss of relationships."

    "Striking Terror No More" is part of a packet of PC(USA) resources
addressing domestic violence issues entitled "Confronting Violence Against
Women: The Church's Calling."  The packet can be ordered by calling
Presbyterian Distribution Service at 1-800-524-2612 and ordering product
#72-700-96-002 (Societal Violence Resource Packet).  The cost is $6.

    A limited number of participants will be selected from applications
received by Oct. 15 for the training events.  The goals of the events,
according to SVIT chair Kristine Thompson, are "to train Presbyterians on
the issue of violence against women and to prepare them to educate
congregations and middle governing bodies on preventing domestic violence."

    The trainings will be led by the Rev. Marie Fortune and a team from the
Seattle-based Center for the Prevention of Sexual and Domestic Violence.
"It is our belief," said Thompson, "that training women and men from across
the church is the best hope for helping our church become a safe place for
women and children who are victims of child abuse."

    Additional information and applications for the training events are
obtainable by contacting Annie Wu King in the Women's Ministries Program
Area of the National Ministries Division in Louisville at (502) 569-5401.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>