From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ANGLICAN COMMUNION MOURNS DIANA,PRINCESS OF WALES

From Audrey Whitefield <a.whitefield@quest.org.uk>
Date 10 Sep 1997 13:07:35

Sept. 3, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon James Rosenthal, Director of Communications,
Anglican Communion Office
London, England

ACC 1323 .

ANGLICAN COMMUNION MOURNS DIANA,PRINCESS OF WALES

CATHEDRALS WORLD-WIDE MARK DEATH OF DIANA

(ACNS, London)update of original story.....
Anglican Church leaders from around the Communion have expressed shock
and sadness over the news of the tragic death of Diana, Princess of
Wales. Prayers were offered for the repose of her soul in parishes
around the world and thanksgiving offered for her life and work in
Britain and around the world. Of utmost concern to Church leaders was
the welfare of her surviving sons, Prince William and Prince Harry.

At the Anglican Communion Office in London, Canon John L. Peterson made
the following statement: "We remember before God, Diana, Princess of
Wales, who died in Paris this morning following a car crash. This sudden
and tragic death of this lively and caring person, loved by so many,
saddens us all immensely.

"Diana's ministry of compassion and care will be her legacy, and we are
indeed grateful to have had her as part of our Anglican family.  Already
tributes are being received from Archbishops, Bishops, clergy and lay
people of our church around the globe.

I know I speak for millions of Anglican Christians around the world
today as we express our deep sorrow and pray especially for her sons,
Prince William and Prince Harry, in this great loss of their mother. May
she rest in peace and rise in glory."

The Archbishop of Cape Town, the Most Revd Njongonkulu Ndungane, said
from Southern Africa, "Princess Diana was a person who cared for the
vulnerable and marginalised in a world in which a lot of such people
often goes uncared for. We knew her as someone who would be with the
sick and the dying in their time of need. She endeared herself to
millions in the region covered by the Anglican Church in Southern Africa
because of her work in two areas that directly affect us most - amongst
the victims of AIDS and those who continue to suffer the dreadful
consequences of landmines that were laid in recent wars. Her witness
will be missed."

The Archbishop of Armagh, the Most Revd Robin Eames said, "The shock and
disbelief which has been expressed from all parts of the world testifies
in some way to the uniqueness the Princess of Wales brought to so many
lives. It is a human tragedy that a young life of beauty and willingness
to reach out to those in real need has been so abruptly brought to an
end. Our hearts and prayers reach out to the Princes William and Harry,
themselves on the threshold of their lives, to Prince Charles and to her
loved ones at this time of such sorrow.  Something of the human touch
has disappeared from our national life."

Tributes have been streaming into the Anglican Communion Office in
London from Anglicans around the globe, some addressed to the Queen,
others to the Archbishop of Canterbury.  Many Anglican Cathedrals will
be holding memorial services for Diana, Princess of Wales, over the next
few days.  We have had notice of services that will be held in the USA,
the Solomon Islands, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa,
Uruguay, Peru, Brazil and many others.

The Presiding Bishop Elect of the Episcopal Church, Bishop Frank
Griswold, will celebrate a memorial Eucharist in St James' Cathedral,
Chicago.  The Archbishop of Melanesia, Ellison Pogo, will conduct a
memorial service in St Barnabas, Honiara, Solomon Islands on Saturday
morning.  Prayers have been offered in the daily masses at St Mary's
church, Los Angeles, California since Monday morning.  A huge crowd is
expected for a memorial service at St Andrews' Cathedral, Sydney.
Solemn Evensong in thanksgiving for the life of Princess Diana will be
held at a future date in Grace Cathedral, San Francisco.  Notices have
been received of services planned at St Luke's Cathedral, Panama City,
St George's Church, Ypres, France, Christ Church, Mexico City and the
Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Montevideo, Uruguay.

Bishops and Clergy eagerly await the names of the hymns and other music
so that this can be incorporated in their local commemorations.  The
hundreds of expressions of sympathy have come from church members who
rejoice over the fact that Princess Diana was a beloved member of the
Anglican Church.

by Canon Jim Rosenthal